• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freesat.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freesat.

Been having a brief search but can't see wood for trees. Which is a decent Freesat HD box to go for (don't want recording). Resumably since I want two rooms I'll need 2 and twin installation as well. Any recommended installers (though it just seems to be the chains subbing).

Cheers.

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Been having a brief search but can't see wood for trees. Which is a decent Freesat HD box to go for (don't want recording). Resumably since I want two rooms I'll need 2 and twin installation as well. Any recommended installers (though it just seems to be the chains subbing).

Cheers.
    You'll doubtless get people coming in who know what they're talking about, but I'll just put in one note for you to check up on:

The LNB (i.e. receiver unit at the focus of the disk) has a polarisation set for any given channel:Vertical or Horizontal. This is set by sending a 0V or 22V signal up the line from the box. Therefore you can not get a twin installation with a normal LNB. However, you don't need 2 dishes or even 2 LNBs, but you do need a twin LNB (looks like 1 but has 2 insides & 2 sockets). As distinct from a double LBN, which can point at 2 different satellites with 1 dish.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      You'll doubtless get people coming in who know what they're talking about, but I'll just put in one note for you to check up on:

The LNB (i.e. receiver unit at the focus of the disk) has a polarisation set for any given channel:Vertical or Horizontal. This is set by sending a 0V or 22V signal up the line from the box. Therefore you can not get a twin installation with a normal LNB. However, you don't need 2 dishes or even 2 LNBs, but you do need a twin LNB (looks like 1 but has 2 insides & 2 sockets). As distinct from a double LBN, which can point at 2 different satellites with 1 dish.
      I think actually I'll end up with a quad LNB since that is apparently ehat tends to get used when more than 1 feed is required. Apparently cheaper than twin LNB. At least that would allow me to upgrade to a couples of PVRs or similar at some future point.

The Humax kit seems to get good reviews.

Comment

If you get a dish put in they normally fit a quad LNB as standard if you want >1 output, i.e typically for a recorder box that needs two. They just don't put all the leads on, 2 from the maximum of 4.
        If you just tell them you want a dish with a quad LNB, and two leads going to different rooms, that is fine. Should cost about £120 all in.

The Humax recorder box is great, their non-recorder gets good reviews but you can get a cheap Freesat box really cheap from Argos and I'd try one of those and see what you think.

Do you want HD channels?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Another vote for Humax, my parents have both a Humax Freeview and a Humax Freesat HD box. Topfield is also very good but I'm guessing it will be more moolah too. If you buy a Freesat PVR you'll need 2x LNB feeds for the one box as they have dual tuners. HTH.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Also, go join avforums.com. I got helpful answers there to the exact same questions a month or 2 back.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              If you get a dish put in they normally fit a quad LNB as standard if you want >1 output, i.e typically for a recorder box that needs two. They just don't put all the leads on, 2 from the maximum of 4.
              If you just tell them you want a dish with a quad LNB, and two leads going to different rooms, that is fine. Should cost about £120 all in.

The Humax recorder box is great, their non-recorder gets good reviews but you can get a cheap Freesat box really cheap from Argos and I'd try one of those and see what you think.

Do you want HD channels?
              Plan was for HD. One room has a 37 1080i, another has a yet to be acquired 32 1080p [though might be just as well to stick with 1080i on 32]. In any event the house I've moved into doesn't have an aerial so I Though I might as well go Freesat instead. Certainly don't need a recorder. I don't watch very much telly.

Comment

AFAIK, the output from the Freesat boxes is @ 1080i.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  AFAIK, the output from the Freesat boxes is @ 1080i.
                  Depends which you get IIRC. My Humax one does, but cheaper non-HD ones don't.

If you want the HD channels, you have far fewer options and will spend more. Humax seems as good as any.

Comment

I've got a Panasonic plasma with the built in tuner but use Sky+ for all my recording. Humax are the best Freesat boxes out there IMHO.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X