• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government ability to just take £2K from you that they think you owe in PAYE ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004410.html

I read this quickly, what the hell is this about, I don't see how its possible for them to obtain monies from your business account (say), without your permission. Is this for Limited Companies who pay PAYE on direct debit or something ?

does this applies to permies also ?

What the hell is going on !

I think this is just about personal tax. It can't have anything to do with company accounts. I think its probably along the lines of you had a lot of tax liability from completing your tax return and haven't paid it/given permission for them to take it from PAYE, so now they will just take it instead. I guess business wise it probably applies to sole traders quite a lot as well?

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004410.html

I read this quickly, what the hell is this about, I don't see how its possible for them to obtain monies from your business account (say), without your permission. Is this for Limited Companies who pay PAYE on direct debit or something ?

does this applies to permies also ?

What the hell is going on !
      I am no expert on this so someone with more knowledge will be able to flesh it out, but I think it is already possible for someone to obtain deductions from someone ele's pay at source, but it requires a court order to do it.

By the sounds of it, HMRC will no longer need the court order.

EDIT - It is called an "attachment of earnings order" - see below:
      http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...t/ae/index.htm
      Last edited by sweetandsour; 22 June 2009, 06:37. Reason: Added link.

Comment

A Government can do anything it likes anyway.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

HMRC have just bankrupted an acquaintance of an acquaintance for estimated taxes of £98k

On investigation the actual amount owed to HMRC is £9k!!!

However the bankruptcy still stands with the original amount.

Work that one out!

Comment

Message for Hector:
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

This is to enable HMG to recoup overpaid tax credits but of course will be used for more devious options. Instead of doing this, the whole useless tax credit system, invented by Brown, that has lost billions in errors since 2002/3 should be abolished.

Comment

Working...
              X