• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So how's the economy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how's the economy?

Was it all a storm in a teacup? While I know a few people who lost their jobs/contracts in the City, all got new jobs pretty quickly. Bonuses seem to be being paid, albeit at lower levels.
    Of non-City people no one I know seems to have lost their jobs/contracts.

So did the media just exagerrate this or is the worst to come? Or did the government's prompt actions avert disaster?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Was it all a storm in a teacup? While I know a few people who lost their jobs/contracts in the City, all got new jobs pretty quickly. Bonuses seem to be being paid, albeit at lower levels.

So did the media just exagerrate this or is the worst to come? Or did the government's prompt actions avert disaster?
    I vote for your 2nd option.
    click here for why I believe the worst is yet to come
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

The current optimism is equivalent to a quick fix for a malnourished heroine addict.

The fundamental facts are these. In real terms:

* The UK is still in record debt, with a massively record deficit making it worse.

* UK people are also in record personal debt, by a long, long way.

None of this has changed. The government's prompt actions did avert disaster, but they only bought a bit of time. In the long term they actually make the fundamentals worse.

Comment

The economy is booming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...s-suggest.html

There never was a downturn or recession. You don't get 4 buyers to each house for sale if there was.

God help us if Gordon goes.

Comment

Isnt the effects of the economy relative to ones individual circumstances??

I have not noticed anything different in the last few years, then again I have ensured that I am immune to the ineptitude of governments, banks etc and have everything I need, not to mention not having lived in the UK since the late 90's.

PZZ

Comment

Most of my friends have either lost their job, or came very close. One was told he was getting sacked, then they changed their mind after the client kicked off, another was out of work for nearly a year and ended up with depression, split up with his partner and now lives with his mother. However they are all now in better paid or more enjoyable positions.

Also I live in the North, and we seem to have received all the doom but not much of the boom.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              not to mention not having lived in the UK since the late 90's.

PZZ
              When it was still practice to sign off on every post?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I know quite a few who lost their jobs : some are still looking.

And I think the worst is yet to come.

Comment

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
                  Also I live in the North, and we seem to have received all the doom but not much of the boom.
                  Haven't we just? After a lifetime in Process Engineering, which is sadly now all gone (along with coal, ship building and steel) I find myself bored to death in nuclear. But at least it seems to have a future and we do have that industry round here. It seems unlikely that Bob Shawaddywaddy will make serious in roads in that industry too at least for the medium term.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    It seems unlikely that Bob Shawaddywaddy will make serious in roads in that industry too at least for the medium term.
                    No, but the government seems to be selling it all off to John Pierre Froggy.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X