• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impossible gigs: NHS, BSF and nuclear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible gigs: NHS, BSF and nuclear

I used to get grumpy about the NPfIT gigs which all say "must have NHS / NPfIT experience". The adverts run for weeks with unfilled posts. Then there's the horror stories about how badly it's all going because they won't use best practice from elsewhere. Gits.

The throw-some-money-at-school-buildings programme, BSF, is only a few years old but already off the rails. And, as before, there are gigs being advertised week after week for BSF people "must have BSF experience". The BSF programme has achieved so little there cannot be many people out there with any experience that are not working on it. Why do they impose this "must have experience" constraint? They must know they won't get anyone unless they are liars.

Now it's the nuclear ads. I've been seeing for weeks the same ads for the same nuclear energy industry gigs. I didn't think we'd built a power station for 30 years but they're asking for "nuclear power station build experience".

I can understand social services and education gigs and logistics demanding the experience because they manage to fill the roles.

But sitting on the bench for months seeing the same adverts for certain sectors through different agencies for week after week seems ridiculous. And there's no getting past the gatekeeper agencies either. Even the desperate offer of "I'll work the first week unpaid while I get up to speed" cuts no ice at all.

What is really going on here? Why don't they want these gigs filled?

And why do the agencies put up with it? Are they being paid to run the ads and then reject any applications on purpose?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

It is so the companies who won the contracts can bring in their foreign work force.
    Some people are bloody slow on the uptake.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

If you wanted a nuclear power station built, would you want someone with previous experience or would you be happy with any old builder?

"My last project was a bathroom conversion, but to be honest this reactor chamber looks like it will take a bit longer to put together."
      Cats are evil.

Comment

I agree with RC.

I worked in the Education sector for a number of years and I have found that the majority of top managers in the sector (inc suppliers) are bloody teachers.

It is a closed shop which is incredible badly run. They don't want hotshots from other sectors because they would immeadeately tell them how utterly useless they were.
        Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

The idea behind these ads is that no once can apply. Then after a few weeks these companies can bring in cheap foreign workers as they could not recruit suitable candidates in the UK marketplace.

It would be interesting to have an opinion on if this practice is legal or not or if there is anyone out there that has actually landed one of these roles.....

PZZ

Comment

WRT Nuclear. I understand the gig is goint to EDF. As the Golden Clown has a brother on the board of EDF I expect they will know how to get round, I mean comply with UK legislation.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
              I agree with RC.

I worked in the Education sector for a number of years and I have found that the majority of top managers in the sector (inc suppliers) are bloody teachers.

It is a closed shop which is incredible badly run. They don't want hotshots from other sectors because they would immeadeately tell them how utterly useless they were.
              Oh the irony.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

How are they going to outsource nuclear work when you need security clearance to even get close to even cleaning the toilets?

What makes me smile is when the job "requires immediate mobilisation". And my CV gets rejected but the job is still open 3 months later. Can't understand it sometimes.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  How are they going to outsource nuclear work when you need security clearance to even get close to even cleaning the toilets?
                  That bit I do know: by being a List-X company. They don't need to use SC or DV staff, merely demonstrate they have a document saying they have a rigorous recruitment policy.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                    Oh the irony.
                    Oh bother
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X