• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bella Roma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bella Roma

Looking at heading to Rome for a week with the family, kids are over 18, and wondering if anyone has any gotchas or tips.

Doing the usual tourist thing. Colossium, Vatican, Trevi fountain etc.

Any experiences?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I love Rome - it's such a beautiful city! Yummy food and tonnes to see.

It's a few years since I have been. If it's yer first time, just do the touristy things - you will be overwhelmed by it all.

Only tip I would have would be to head to the vatican city in the later afternoon - I found that was the best time, a few less tourists.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Watch out for the pick pockets.

Service is not included in most restaurants.

CM has a good point but ..If you go late afternoon to the Vatican you can't get into the Sistine chapel IIRC it closes to the public at midday
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 June 2009, 10:53.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

When you visit the Colosseum, there will be a great long queue to get in.

You can:

1. Queue for an hour to buy your ticket and get in.

2. Accept the offer from people hanging around the entrance to pay extra for a "guided tour" and they will take you through the shorter, pre-paid ticket queue.

3. Walk around the corner to the entrance to the Palatine grounds where you can also buy tickets, and the queue there will be astonishingly shorter. You can now join the pre-paid ticket queue when you go round to the Colosseum.

The single ticket admits you to both the Colosseum and the Palatine.

Oh yes, the people dressed in Roman outfits outside will pose in photos with you, and then demand €10. Don't make eye-contact.

Have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Watch out for the pick pockets.

Service is not included in most restaurants.

CM has a good point but ..If you go late afternoon to the Vatican you can't get into the Sistine chapel IIRC it closes to the public at midday
          I might be wrong here - worth checking Dave, but I think it only closes at 12/12.30 on the free days. Other days it's 4 - but it's been a few years since I was there so Baggy may well be right.
          Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Looking at heading to Rome for a week with the family, kids are over 18, and wondering if anyone has any gotchas or tips.

Any experiences?
            Went there last year.

Use the underground trains, you can buy a weekly pass, unlimited rides ticket for not a huge amount per person at the ticket machines and all of the stuff you want to see is within comfortable walking distance of one station or another. The underground has essentially got two lines in roughly a cross shape you can't get lost.

There are heaps of decent places to eat in the evening and as you'd expect the food is great, it would be a shame if you eat in the hotel every night.

The queues for the Vatican are gigantic, I paid about 40 Euro for a guided tour (entry ticket if you queue is about 16) the tours bypass the queues and the guide was very well informed. It was money well spent, the place is huge, but totally worth visiting and ended up at the Sistine Chapel and St Peters, expect to spend a minimum of 3-4 hours there and you will barely scratch the surface.

Be prepared to carry a water bottle each, if the weather is as hot as last year you will need it, there are plenty of places that sell chilled water, but it adds up, the tap water is quite drinkable.

I loved the place, but I'm very interested in the monuments and museums. There is quite a lot of spray paint graffiti which is a shame and loads of people on the streets selling fake Rolex watches and other crap, just ignore them.

Edit: Be prepared to walk a lot I walked miles as there was so much to see, places like the Palatine are quite rough ground and Rome is quite hilly.
            Last edited by TykeMerc; 22 June 2009, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Any experiences?
              Check out this site and the page for June events.

http://www.romace.it/site/pdf/evento/eventogiugno.pdf

http://www.romace.it/site/index.php

If you are up to anything specific let me know...
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                I might be wrong here - worth checking Dave, but I think it only closes at 12/12.30 on the free days. Other days it's 4 - but it's been a few years since I was there so Baggy may well be right.
                You are probably right, jsut remember it being closed when I got there!
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  You are probably right, jsut remember it being closed when I got there!
                  Getting in and out was a bit of a nightmare anyway - those guards are sooooo obnoxious. I reckon if they decided it was closing time at 11 - they'd just shut up shop.
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    I love Rome - it's such a beautiful city! Yummy food and tonnes to see.

It's a few years since I have been. If it's yer first time, just do the touristy things - you will be overwhelmed by it all.

Only tip I would have would be to head to the vatican city in the later afternoon - I found that was the best time, a few less tourists.
                    But be aware they stop entry to the Sistine Chapel at about 16:00 which would be fine if it wasn't our last day. Good excuse to go back mind.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X