• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Speaker in House of Commons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Speaker in House of Commons

Why don't they vote for that Ann Widdecome? She'd be great, even if she does carry out her threat to stand down after the election.

Of the two front runners, John Bercow is disliked by his own party, and any support he gets from Labour MPs would just be to spite the Tories - hardly a ringing endorsement from anyone. And Margaret Becket, apart from fiddling her expenses, hardly seems made of the right stuff.

So Widdecome it is for me.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Why don't they vote for that Ann Widdecome? She'd be great, even if she does carry out her threat to stand down after the election.

Of the two front runners, John Bercow is disliked by his own party, and any support he gets from Labour MPs would just be to spite the Tories - hardly a ringing endorsement from anyone. And Margaret Becket, apart from fiddling her expenses, hardly seems made of the right stuff.

So Widdecome it is for me.
    And me - she is such a battleaxe - she wouldn't take any sh!te from anyone.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I want Widdecombe also, but I bet we get Bercow or the fraudulent female gardener.

Comment

I am sure that tradition had it that the position of Speaker was not contested by the party of the exiting Speaker. Am I right or did I dream this. If I am right what happened to that tradition?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

That the public want Widdy is a near shoe-in that she wouldn't get it, simply because the pols seem to do the exact opposite of what we (their employers) want.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            I am sure that tradition had it that the position of Speaker was not contested by the party of the exiting Speaker. Am I right or did I dream this. If I am right what happened to that tradition?
            That tradition or convention went the way of the fairies....... lets see oh... round about when Nu-Liebor didn't like it......

Comment

If the media is to be believed, though in this case it appears it can be, Widdecombe seems to be the popular choice with the people.

So you can bet your mortgage it won't be her then....
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'd settle for anybody who could simply make Brown answer a question.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  I want Widdecombe also
                  I can't imagine that has been said often in the past!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    I can't imagine that has been said often in the past!

True indeed !! She is the outstanding candidate with the general population though because she is straight with the people, a committed Christian, and greatly respected for her honesty and character.

If Beckett gets the role it is going to turn a lot of people off Parliament until the next election, when she loses her seat for her refusal to repay her thousands of pounds of gardening costs that she charged to us.

Comment

Working...
                    X