• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Having to play politics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having to play politics

In my new role, I seem to spend more time as piggy in the middle between various departments. Having to defend why my department won't do things while being constantly pressurised to do them by other depts. What would be amicable solutions in most places inevitably put someones nose out of joint here.
    On top of this everyone seems to be machiavellian or contantly in cover my arse mode.

I feel like a permie.

Should I

Tell them to fark off and walk?

Or take it like AndyW?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

What about the 3rd option? Wait for Lucy to start calling them, and you get fired.

Comment

Take the money but just give up on any pride in the job.
      They will do you anyway, as you probably know, in political positions the contractor is always blamed. Easy target. They are probably shooting for your boss.
      Sounds like a former contract of mine with a defense organization.
      Bored.

Comment

Ask for fully funded business cases, project and resource plans.

Have a investment appraisal board (chaired by a Director and consisting of representation from all business areas) to formally and democratically decide which projects get company investment and which do not.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          In my new role, I seem to spend more time as piggy in the middle between various departments. Having to defend why my department won't do things while being constantly pressurised to do them by other depts. What would be amicable solutions in most places inevitably put someones nose out of joint here.
          On top of this everyone seems to be machiavellian or contantly in cover my arse mode.

I feel like a permie.

Should I

Tell them to fark off and walk?

Or take it like AndyW?
          Is this a public sector contract, perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            What about the 3rd option? Wait for Lucy to start calling them, and you get fired.
            Now that is harsh.
            But I couldn't help laughing.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

This time it wouldn't bother me!

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              Take the money but just give up on any pride in the job.
              They will do you anyway, as you probably know, in political positions the contractor is always blamed. Easy target. They are probably shooting for your boss.
              Sounds like a former contract of mine with a defense organization.
              They are going to do me over I can tell. I'm not really a political player, I tend to tell people what I think and that is "not the way".

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
              Is this a public sector contract, perchance?

No but it feels like it!
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 June 2009, 14:24.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I am having problems with a vendor/conculting company. Every time you ask them to do something, they find something you need to do first. Then they query what you have delivered, but never get around to their delivery until the very last min.

People around here have stopped asking any question, so they get away with delivering Sh!t to production. Guess who is paid for a large production support team
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

A couple of fist<-->face interfaces may help here!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X