• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Neighbours with shift patterns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbours with shift patterns

Just got the keys to our new house. I have been putting in some banisters and spindles. I was working all weekend and was back there today. I didn't start until 1:30pm as I had some errands to run this morning.

I had been working for around an hour when the doorbell went. It was the neighbour. He stated he was a clinical supervisior, and the only hours he could sleep were between 9am and 2pm, and asked me not to do any noisy work between these hours. (This does not apply at weekends)

I have taken two weeks off to welcome our new arrival and try and get the essential DIY done before we move in. The other neighbours have young kids so I think it would be un-neighbourly to work past 6:30 pm during the week.

So I can only do 4.5 hours DIY work per day.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Usually best tio try to get on with the neighbours. Though technically you on have to be quiet between 11pm and 7am.

Comment

Piss the neighbours off, if you need lessons then give Wilmslow a call.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Usually best tio try to get on with the neighbours. Though technically you on have to be quiet between 11pm and 7am.
        I'm not trying to p*ss anyone off, but the working parameters inconvenience me greatly. For example, let's say I order a firm to come and install a new kitchen. This takes around a week to do, but would take double that if they can only work afternoons.

And to be honest it's not as if these kind of DIY projects are a regular occurence.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I'm not trying to p*ss anyone off, but the working parameters inconvenience me greatly. For example, let's say I order a firm to come and install a new kitchen. This takes around a week to do, but would take double that if they can only work afternoons.

And to be honest it's not as if these kind of DIY projects are a regular occurence.
          I reckon if you explain to him/her that you have a bit of a project underway and it will run from x date to x date then thats fair enough. You have to be able to do your bits and pieces but if you make it clear that you are not trying to cause grief the neighbours will appreciate it.

This is a bit close to home for me, my mam is a nurse but for as long as I can remember she has worked night shifts, so she sleeps in the day - her and Dad have a reasonable relationship with the neighbours so the DIY gets done next door during the night.... Great for Mam - not so good for us Although I am sure they have knocked down and rebuilt that house at least 100 times with the banging that goes on in there!!
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Give him the 'be reasonable' speech: you're just moving in, you need to do some work, it'll take a few weeks, and you'll try and accommodate his shift patterns, but also mention that if he doesn't like it, you'll move out to one of your other homes, and rent the house out to a family of gypos. No skin off your nose.

Works for me, I've used it several times.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

What kind of contractor lives in a house where his neighbours can hear him doing DIY?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

If he complains again, go park your Ford Focus outside his drive.

Oops, wrong thread.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

No it's the same MO
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Fecking neighbours! Tell them to get to ****.

Its funny how they are always the first ones around saying 'dont do this, dont do that' and then you find they go and do exactly what they want!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X