• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed

Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a mess without any fault of mine. The problem is that my accountant ("from one of those recommended accountancy firms") submitted wrong figures on my p35 to HMRC. So HMRC starting sending notices/warnings to me. On being questioned my accountant tried to cover up his mistake and did not even tell me that p35 is incorrect and just asked me to forward those to him and assured me that he is sorting it out. Today his "assistant" told me that HMRC is not talking to him and I will need to speak with the bailiffs and sort it out. I have tried a tleast 15 different numbers and spoken to about 20 people but nobody at HMRC has been able to sort it out.
    Another thing is that the accountant did submit an ammended p35 but the paper one and not online and HMRC says that they have a big backlog and it will be weeks before they get to it. I am really upset and tensed about the whole thing. Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Also if anybody could suggest
    1) Some good accountant
    2) How could I take a legal action against the accountant who landed me in this mess and still does not seem to care. ( There have been similar screw ups last month as well)

Cheers,
    Mosh

P35's Online

Hi Mosh

HMRC online P35 filling worked better this year than some years, although we have encountered some issues with a small group of clients where HMRC have duplicated information and so are chasing for amounts of PAYE that have already been paid.

They do seem to be struggling to sort it out but are being very co-operative in their attempts, and I do think it will take time to resolve. We have indicated to them that they may not want to be causing taxpayers distress when their system is not updated with correct information, and I think they ahve taken that on board, but there are different departments to work with on this, its not as if you can just "phone HMRC", and even trying to find out who should be doing what is difficult.

I would definately fax the bailiff , put it in writing indicating stress and discomfort and asking for their help in sorting the mess out. Dont forget to list who you have contacted and make sure you give contact numbers for yourself.

If a P35 has been filed, its difficult to file another on online unless you get online support to remove the first record. All very messy.

You could try a visit to your local tax office - they can stop the recovery/bailiff team - I realise thats not a suggestion that may be appreciated but it might help.

Phil

Comment

Accountant Needed

Thanks for the advice. I have just been told by HMRC that they have put a stop on it for now and will review the amended P35. I hope they stick to their word!!

But now my latest challenge is to find a decent accountant to take it from here and manage my company accounts. My company year ends on 30th june (atleast that's what I have been told ). So I don't really know whether to stick with the current accountant until he does my end of year filling (and give him another chance to try and get me behind bars) or find some one else.

Any advice/suggestions on that will be much appreciated.

Comment

Move accountants quick. Don't hang on with the current one.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Changing accountants June 30th Year End

Hi Mosh,

I think you would probably find it more effective to stay with the current accountant to complete June 30th year end, especially if you have been paying monthly and if they have your current book keeping records, I think it would depend on your exact arrangements with them. But that doesnt mean you have to wait to start working with a new one from 1st july 2009, you can have two accountants one for each year, as it may take a few months to get your June 30th year end finalised.

Phil

Comment

Spill the beans, who was it?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

New accountant

Although I was paying a lot of money but the arrangement was that I would fill all the spreadsheets (supplied by them) and they will tell me the VAT etc after looking at the spreadsheet. So I don't know how helpful will that be with regards to hand over to a new accountant.
              About spilling the beans: It's s**.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosh View Post
                Although I was paying a lot of money but the arrangement was that I would fill all the spreadsheets (supplied by them) and they will tell me the VAT etc after looking at the spreadsheet. So I don't know how helpful will that be with regards to hand over to a new accountant.
                About spilling the beans: It's s**.
                Ping a PM to Simon (the boss of s** - he posts here) once you're allowed. He always promises to sort this sort of thing out. I'd angle for 4 months free next year

If he doesn't - let us all know.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

New accountant

Mosh they will be very helpful, I wouldnt worry about that. I would also express your concerns to them, give them opportunity to rectify and make sure you have filled in what they gave you so that they can do the year end.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Ping a PM to Simon (the boss of s** - he posts here) once you're allowed. He always promises to sort this sort of thing out. I'd angle for 4 months free next year

If he doesn't - let us all know.
                    Contact info at his member's page

If you don't yet have access to it, administrator will probably speed up your privilege upgrade if you ask him/her/it nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X