• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi Fi repair... anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Fi repair... anyone?

I have a Technics amp that’s about 15 years old but in good condition apart from one fault, the volume momentarily drops and sounds a little muffled every 30-60 seconds then returns to normal?

Any experts have an idea what’s going on? It would be a shame to chuck it out if it's just a simple fix.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I have a Technics amp that’s about 15 years old but in good condition apart from one fault, the volume momentarily drops and sounds a little muffled every 30-60 seconds then returns to normal?

Any experts have an idea what’s going on? It would be a shame to chuck it out if it's just a simple fix.
    I have virtually no knowledge of hardware, but I would hazard a guess that it might be a dodgy capacitor somewhere.

My (twenty-odd year old) amp currently goes to maximum volume when the slider is moved below one and a half. I discovered this as it drove me mad the other day when I was trying to turn it down without my reading glasses

Comment

I would 2nd that hunch on a capacitor, probably a largish electrolytic capacitor that has gone dry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Look for a swollen or stained looking capacitor, and replace.

I did this the other day on my failed PVR and for the princely sum of 71p had it working again.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I would 2nd that hunch on a capacitor, probably a largish electrolytic capacitor that has gone dry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Look for a swollen or stained looking capacitor, and replace.

I did this the other day on my failed PVR and for the princely sum of 71p had it working again.

I'll have another look inside, is it as simple as looking for a rating and ordering from RS?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I bought mine over the counter at Maplins. But RS would do.

Comment

My old Pioneer amp was doing similar things out of one speaker, but there's A & B speaker outputs on it and switching the pair from A to B and now both work again. I originally thought it was the speakers (which are even older).

Is it worth fixing CD players? My Pioneer one that I bought with the amp has started skipping and refusing to play lots of CDs. I've been playing CDs in my DVD player as a backup.

I figure I could probably get a Tesco Value replacement for £5 in this day and age.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's much greener to repair and more satisfying too.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                It's much greener to repair and more satisfying too.
                My system has a Bi-amp so the speakers don't have crossovers, the other components all connect via a unique Technics ribbon cable so it would mean 6 boxes in the landfill if I can't fix it.

Comment

Better than that I'll disconnect the upper range and see what it sounds like.

Gone are the days when a student with a multimeter would fix it for a fiver.

Comment

Take it to Triangle TV in Redland. There experts at component level faults and I know the guy who runs it. Their address is: 124 Coldharbour Road, Redland, Bristol BS6 7SL

Comment

Working...
                    X