• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swine Flu - Sickness Protection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swine Flu - Sickness Protection

Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, go easy on me.

I was wondering what people have in place by way of short-term sickness insurance. I’m aware of the critical insurance policies generally flogged around the market place, but are there firms out there that will insure you for a temporary period out of work, like less than a month.
    Reason for my concern is that someone at the client site has been sent home yesterday with swine flu. I figure, it’s only a matter of time…..

There used be "day one" insurance that tailed off after a few months, by which time income protection insurance would kick in. Don't know if such a product is available anymore. In any case, it's rather expensive.

Best ask a financial adviser.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you get swine flu you are either going:

1. To die
      2. Be back at work after one week.

If 1, then sickness protection is the least of your worries.

If 2, you lose a weeks pay. Not the end of the world is it?

Comment

I am pretty sure some contractors would get the bump if they tell the client that they have it and they are the first to have it in that company.

Comment

You could try here: http://www.globalunderwriters.com/

They do all sorts of short term health cover.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If you get swine flu you are either going:

1. To die
            2. Be back at work after one week.

If 1, then sickness protection is the least of your worries.

If 2, you lose a weeks pay. Not the end of the world is it?
            Obviously not, but if you think the probability of losing a week is X, you earn Y a week and insurance costs Z, use maths to decide whether to take insurance or not. Of course you have to figure out X and the number of weeks you need insurance before the risk has largely gone.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Obviously not, but if you think the probability of losing a week is X, you earn Y a week and insurance costs Z, use maths to decide whether to take insurance or not. Of course you have to figure out X and the number of weeks you need insurance before the risk has largely gone.
              How many clients would let a contractor back in the place when they had been off with swine flu?? None I suspect, so end of contract...

PZZ

Comment

Without going to a laboratory of some kind, how do people tell the difference between swine flu and "a bit of a cold"? If I catch it and don't particularly feel any worse than I do after my usual night out on the ale then I don't suppose I'll take any time off anyway. Like all contractors, I've worked plenty of times in the past on days when I've been barely able to stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Envelope View Post
                  Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, go easy on me.
                  Envelope, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Originally posted by Envelope View Post
                  I was wondering what people have in place by way of short-term sickness insurance. I’m aware of the critical insurance policies generally flogged around the market place, but are there firms out there that will insure you for a temporary period out of work, like less than a month.
                  Reason for my concern is that someone at the client site has been sent home yesterday with swine flu. I figure, it’s only a matter of time…..
                  I cannot see any insurance company touchhing that with a barge pole.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Thanks all....

I guess it's a cross your fingers situation then...

Comment

Working...
                    X