• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of an era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of an era

No more Kodachrome.

Truly.

It's been losing market to Fujichrome for years however.

Kodachrome is probably the best colour film there has ever been or will be, but it is rather unforgiving and less than speedy.

Carlsberg don't make film, but if they did, it would be something like Kodachrome 25 rated at ISO 400.

I think I might buy a 24-pack of PKR and stick in the fridge for when I want to do some nostalgic shooting.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yet another pop song which has become meaningless. Er, like they all are anyway of course.

It's like that bit in the middle of A Day In The Life:

Grabbed my coat and grabbed my hat,
      Made the bus in seconds flat,
      Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
      Then somebody spoke and I went into a dream...

You wear a hat, grandad? You travel on a bus?? It has an upstairs??? You had a smoke??!?! Somebody actually spoke on a bus? What kind of psychedelic mumbo-jumbo is this?

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
        Truly.

It's been losing market to Fujichrome for years however.

Kodachrome is probably the best colour film there has ever been or will be, but it is rather unforgiving and less than speedy.

Carlsberg don't make film, but if they did, it would be something like Kodachrome 25 rated at ISO 400.

I think I might buy a 24-pack of PKR and stick in the fridge for when I want to do some nostalgic shooting.
        I used to shoot nothing else, just Kodachrome 25. It sure was difficult to handle, but when you got the exposure spot-on, the colour rendition was amazing. Not in-your-face like Velvia, but comprehensive reproduction of real colours.

Comment

Is Kodachrome the film you had to send back to Kodak for processing?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Is Kodachrome the film you had to send back to Kodak for processing?
            Yes. The reason for that was that it was developed with a different process, which needed a very expensive setup.

What was different about the process is that, unlike other processes that developed silver grains to produce dark and light, and attached colour dyes to those, the Kodachrome process ended with the dissolving out of the silver, leaving only colour dyes in the end product.

Comment

My dad used to work in printing presses, and one time brought home a little stack of solid silver ingots, recovered from printing the newspapers. Slightly off-topic, but it is a fond childhood memory you've reminded me of.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Kodachromes printed using Ilford's Cibachrome process are to my eye, the best colour photographs ever. Nothing comes close for clarity, sparkle and sheer gorgeousness of colour.

Digital prints from even the best 'giclee' printers and papers just pale in comparison.

Welcome to the era of digital mediocrity.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Kodachromes printed using Ilford's Cibachrome process are to my eye, the best colour photographs ever. Nothing comes close for clarity, sparkle and sheer gorgeousness of colour.

Digital prints from even the best 'giclee' printers and papers just pale in comparison.

Welcome to the era of digital mediocrity.
                  Agree on first point.

Agree on second point. A little French will disabuse you of the hype surrounding the idea of calling inkjet printers "giclée" when you want to sell the prints. Gicler is to spurt. Your car's washer jet is a gicleur. Gicler also means to ejaculate. Inkjet printers with a high idea of themselves.

Agree on third point. Digital is theoretically "as good as you like", or at least "as good as the spec". It has become "just good enough". Hence MP3s, not as good as vinyl but you get used to it. Digital cameras: 2Mp on your phone is good enough if you only ever look at pictures on your phone. Etc, etc. Those who still use film (esp. MF) and vinyl haven't forgotten: you can tell the difference.

Comment

Kodak have a slide show of some of what they regard as the best Kodachrome shots here
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X