• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear ™ This will end in tears

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear ™ This will end in tears

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ension-schemes

Local authorities across Britain are believed to be borrowing hundreds of millions of pounds from staff pension schemes in order to boost returns on their own cash deposits - without sharing the full interest with the pension fund.

Unions want this investment practice, which is outlawed in the private sector, to be banned immediately. They have suggested that councils' investment strategies may already be illegal.

The Local Government Association insisted that councils were acting within the regulations. "The law requires councils to invest their pension fund money properly and prudently, and that is what they do," it said.

Best stick it all in the highest paying accounts. Might I suggest Iceland, no I mean Ireland, no ....

Nah! What could possibly go wrong?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

It'll end in tax, not tears.

Comment

I did a gig at The Pensions Regulator in Brighton and they were absolutely terrified of another Maxwell happening on their watch. Odd to see that it's happening under their noses and in the public sector!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          I did a gig at The Pensions Regulator in Brighton and they were absolutely terrified of another Maxwell happening on their watch. Odd to see that it's happening under their noses and in the public sector!
          <fx>Blows snot bubble in disbelief</fx>

What has that QUANGO been doing for the past 15 years.

1: Holidaying in Barbados
          2: Being Mythical
          3: Hiding
          Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
            <fx>Blows snot bubble in disbelief</fx>

What has that QUANGO been doing for the past 15 years.

1: Holidaying in Barbados
            2: Being Mythical
            3: Hiding
            Why do you think I left after three weeks?

FWIW, one of the duties of TPR is the protection of the Pensions Protection Fund - it's another tripartite regulatory environment, comprising:

TPR
            PPF
            DWP

aka Yet-Another-Cluster-****-By-The-Politicians

Comment

Someone's been reading Investing other peoples pensions by Robert Maxwell

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Someone's been reading Investing other peoples pensions by Robert Maxwell
                His second publication was far better.

I think it was called

"10 easy steps to non-slip yachting"

Apparently it made quiet a splash
                Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

This has to be on a par with using company funds within an offset mortgage !!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ension-schemes

Local authorities across Britain are believed to be borrowing hundreds of millions of pounds from staff pension schemes in order to boost returns on their own cash deposits - without sharing the full interest with the pension fund.
                    Devil in the detail there...

Comment

Working...
                    X