• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Branson: Airlines could go bust...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Branson: Airlines could go bust...

O'Leary has been saying this for a long time!

Branson: Airlines could go bust
    Karl West and Ray Massey, Daily Mail
    23 June 2009, 7:54am
    Virgin Atlantic supremo Sir Richard Branson gave the gloomiest warning yet about the state of the airline business, predicting that a major operator could soon go bust.

Branson: His comments provoked a fall in the BA share price yesterday.

His stark prediction comes just a day after he riled British Airways by saying the ailing flag-carrier should not be rescued by the Government.

BA insisted it has not asked for a bailout, and does not need one. A spokesman said: 'The whole scenario is complete fantasy.'

Sir Richard said BA had brought the matter on itself when chief executive Willie Walsh said that BA was in a 'fight for survival', and asked staff to work without pay for a month.

The Virgin boss said: 'Loss-making and inefficient airlines should be allowed to go the wall, no matter how big or prestigious they were. The government should not intervene to stop companies going bust. Big inefficient companies which have let their overheads grow should not necessarily survive for ever.

'If they do disappear it will allow new and more efficient companies to take their place... As old trees come down, new saplings start growing.'

Transport secretary Lord Adonis insisted there had been no contact with BA about a rescue.

And he was adamant that the government, which has its own problems managing the country's parlous finances, would not rescue ailing airlines.

He said: 'We are not in the business of giving bailouts. Nor would the public expect us to. We don't see any public interest to be served by giving public subsidy.'

The speculation took place as rumours emerged that BA (down 11.8p, or 8.6%, at 124.6p) has clashed with its pension trustees over a higher-risk investment strategy that it believes has hammered its final salary schemes.

BA's pension deficit is likely to have ballooned from £1.7bn to about £3bn, and the group has hinted it may have to close its final salary retirement schemes.

There has been concern about BA's financial stability since it reported a record annual loss of £401m last month. Walsh has added to the uncertainty by asking staff to work for free.

In the latest edition of in-house newspaper BA News, Walsh said its cash position would be an important factor in helping it through the downturn.

He said: 'Cash is king. Cash gives us time and time gives us options. If we run out of cash, we run out of time and we run out of options.'

BA had a cash balance of just under £1.4bn at the end of March, when it was burning through this at a rate of about £2.7m a day.

It is thought the rate of cash usage has slowed since then.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

BA are in trouble because they rely on business travellers. But nobody is in the mood to pay 7x price for their ticket just to get a posh bag of peanuts.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I pay extra to keep out of cattle class. It scares the tulip out of me.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        BA are in trouble because they rely on business travellers. But nobody is in the mood to pay 7x price for their ticket just to get a posh bag of peanuts.
        I think getting a "flat bed" on a transatlantic flight makes a significant difference, especially if you want to be fit to work as soon as you arrive.

Whether it is worth the premium or not is another matter.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Lol,

Before they stopped to travel to Toulouse at sensible time I used to always fly with BA, most of the time in club class.
          For 50 quid extra I would get a full dinner + unlimited booze, booze up in their lounge before the flight and get 3 times more tier points/miles than the muppets in economy. So it was actually good value!
          Last edited by Le Rosbif; 23 June 2009, 14:00.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
            I think getting a "flat bed" on a transatlantic flight makes a significant difference, especially if you want to be fit to work as soon as you arrive.

Whether it is worth the premium or not is another matter.

tim
            And such "beds" are going at vastly reduced prices right now - but BA lose still lose a ton at that price.

Comment

No doubt about it. BA are going bust.

Comment

I wish that O'Leary would go bust.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
                  I wish that O'Leary would go bust.

unlikely.

more likely that BA will hit trouble big time and O'Leary will purchase the assets of BA at a knock down price whilst its pension fund is run into the ground.

Comment

Bloomberg: Air Begorrah Will Abolish Checked Luggage to Reduce Costs

I am sooooooo glad I don't have to fly with this bunch.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X