• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career progression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career progression

Hi,

Up until a few years ago I was a Notes admin and have now qualified as a WIndows/Exchange 2007 admin.
    I am 33 years of age and am wondering if I am too old for this sort of job and if so where should I point my career?
    I am a greedy person and have pretty poor managerial skills, although am fairly good technically. I therefore thought that a sales job maybe a good place to look, however I'm not sure how a Windows admin would generally get involved in this line of work.

Could someone please offer me some kind of career advice? (Sensible answers only!)

Many thanks

I am a greedy person and have pretty poor managerial skills
    Politics?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Process the expense claims for MP's?

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
        Hi,

Up until a few years ago I was a Notes admin and have now qualified as a WIndows/Exchange 2007 admin.
        I am 33 years of age and am wondering if I am too old for this sort of job and if so where should I point my career?
        I am a greedy person and have pretty poor managerial skills, although am fairly good technically. I therefore thought that a sales job maybe a good place to look, however I'm not sure how a Windows admin would generally get involved in this line of work.

Could someone please offer me some kind of career advice? (Sensible answers only!)

Many thanks
        I would suggest moving more into the Technical Architect type arena but would defer to more learned members of the board.

If you have only recently gained your MS qual you would need to gain more real world experience but thereafter, would think you would be well placed to work on projects involving LN ---> Exch migrations.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Process the expense claims for MP's?
          I thought you never posted past 7pm?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            True!

Whoooooop whoooooop whoooooop whoooooop

Prawn Out of Bounds Exception at 19440000

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              I think I said "hardly ever"

Blimey, CUK police state.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I think I said "hardly ever"

Blimey, CUK police state.

Just put the mouse down sir, and step away from the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  Just put the mouse down sir, and step away from the keyboard.
                  Right I'm off to write my memoirs.

You ****ers are getting no mention in it whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
                    Hi,

Many thanks
                    Start applying for implementation consultant and/or pre-sales techical consultant.
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X