• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chubby people live longest: Japan study

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chubby people live longest: Japan study

Health experts have long warned of the risk of obesity, but a new Japanese study warns that being very skinny is even more dangerous, and that slightly chubby people live longer.

People who are a little overweight at age 40 live six to seven years longer than very thin people, whose average life expectancy was shorter by some five years than that of obese people, the study found.

"We found skinny people run the highest risk," said Shinichi Kuriyama, an associate professor at Tohoku University's Graduate School of Medicine who worked on the long-term study of middle-aged and elderly people.

"We had expected thin people would show the shortest life expectancy but didn't expect the difference to be this large," he told AFP by telephone.

The study was conducted by a health ministry team led by Tohoku University professor Ichiro Tsuji and covered 50,000 people between the ages of 40 and 79 over 12 years in the northern Japanese prefecture of Miyagi.

"There had been an argument that thin people's lives are short because many of them are sick or smoke. But the difference was almost unchanged even when we eliminated these factors," Kuriyama said.

Main reasons for the shorter lifespans of skinny people were believed to include their heightened vulnerability to diseases such as pneumonia and the fragility of their blood vessels, he said.

But Kuriyama warned he was not recommending people eat as much as they want.

"It's better that thin people try to gain normal weight, but we doubt it's good for people of normal physique to put on more fat," he said.

The study divided people into four weight classes at age 40 according to their body mass index, or BMI, calculated by dividing a person's weight in kilograms by their squared height in metres.

The normal range is 18.5 to 25, with thinness defined as under 18.5. A BMI of 25 to 30 was classed as slightly overweight and an index above 30 as obese.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

I'd like to see those results split by out by socio-economic group as I reckon that's got a lot more to do with longevity than a bit of chubbiness.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Most people that work at desks all day are a little chubby by the time they get to 40. Most of them probably eat quite well, don't smoke and have quite an easy life.

Comment

If that was true, british women would survive us all!

yuck

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Most people that work at desks all day are a little chubby by the time they get to 40. Most of them probably eat quite well, don't smoke and have quite an easy life.
          Most people that work at desks all day are a little chubby by the time they get to 30

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
            If that was true, british women would survive us all!

yuck
            Ooh, get her!

I thought the French were all fatties, hence the French paradox, aka the 'we live long either though we are fat and eat a lot of butter syndrome' (it's the wine that saves them apparently).

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
              Most people that work at desks all day are a little chubby by the time they get to 30
              it's important to define chubby.

US: 40% of bodyweight is fat
              UK: 35%
              JAPAN: 15%
              everywehere else in the world: 20%

Comment

Ooh, get her!

I thought the French were all fatties, hence the French paradox, aka the 'we live long either though we are fat and eat a lot of butter syndrome' (it's the wine that saves them apparently).
                Nope the french paradox is "we eat loads and stay slim"

Which is not rocket science. We just don't eat tulip (crisps, litters of coffee with milk, chocolate bars, candies, ...) but quality, well balanced food.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Rosbif View Post
                  Nope the french paradox is "we eat loads and stay slim"

Which is not rocket science. We just don't eat tulip (crisps, litter of coffees with milk, chocolate bars, candies) but quality, well balanced food.
                  I think it's that they eat a lot of high fat food and have a lower occurence of heart disease actually my learned French pastry.

Comment

I think it's that they eat a lot of high fat food and have a lower occurence of heart disease actually my learned French pastry.
                    Oh yes - I once heard that if you opened up a Frenchman you could drive a train through his arteries and use his liver as a door stop.

Cirrhosis is a big killer over the Channel...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X