• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking the Michael - a sign of the times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the Michael - a sign of the times

Had an agent phone this morning and, in all seriousness, offer me a contract at a rate that would have either been the same or indeed lower than an average permie would get.

Seems to me we've reached the stage where some agents/clients are thinking they can get away with anything in the current market.

Some stockmarket traders have a view that when absurd behaviour starts happening in the mainstream, then we've reached a turning point in the market...

Take heart, boys - I believe the tide is turning.

Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
    Had an agent phone this morning and, in all seriousness, offer me a contract at a rate that would have either been the same or indeed lower than an average permie would get.

Seems to me we've reached the stage where some agents/clients are thinking they can get away with anything in the current market.

Some stockmarket traders have a view that when absurd behaviour starts happening in the mainstream, then we've reached a turning point in the market...

Take heart, boys - I believe the tide is turning.
    It will most likely be an Indian "near/on shoring company"
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I reckon the agents are trying it on becuase of all the doom and gloom on this website - not had a contract for xxx months etc etc

they will start low and see how desperate you are

if we all start posting that we are in well paid contracts their attitude will change

probably

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        It will most likely be an Indian "near/on shoring company"
        Hmmm...I think you could be right...she wasn't the usual smooth-talking, do-you-wanna-buy-my-granny-at-a-discount type of agent that I've become used to dealing with.

She only had a postcode for the location which was apparently "very nearby", and on further interrogation turned out to be an hour away by car.

Comment

Hmmm...I think you could be right...she wasn't the usual smooth-talking, do-you-wanna-buy-my-granny-at-a-discount type of agent that I've become used to dealing with.

She only had a postcode for the location which was apparently "very nearby", and on further interrogation turned out to be an hour away by car.
          Im seeing this more and more especially in the past few weeks.
          Agent calls up with a gig at an unacceptably low rate, cant get any takers, gives them the green light to hire cheap foreigners (via some on/offshore co) who will work for peanuts.

This is a worrying development that takes valuable roles away from UK contractors when we can least afford it. And of course, the UK government sits idly by and does nothing to protect UK jobs...

PZZ

Comment

Just replied to a job on Jobserve for an urgent NHS role, it was that urgent she rang me back within 2 mins, almost unheard of!!

I've just finished an NHS role at a different trust where rate was £15ph, this was £11. Eventually she told me it was 70 miles away and although I'd be expensed for tootling around once there it was down to me to get there, which is fair enough.

Point being though that that's a big difference between trusts, and be less money than permies get. Yeah I need the money and something to do with my days, but I'm not giving in to agents just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              This is a worrying development that takes valuable roles away from UK contractors when we can least afford it. And of course, the UK government sits idly by and does nothing to protect UK jobs...PZZ
              I wasn't aware that the UK government gave a rats-ass about contractors. If there is not a permie available to do the work, that counts as a "skills shortage", doesn't it?

Comment

I wasn't aware that the UK government gave a rats-ass about contractors. If there is not a permie available to do the work, that counts as a "skills shortage", doesn't it?
                They have got to be able to prove it, helps them come up with bulltulip stats.

PZZ

Comment

It will be intresting to see, when Darling finds out the HMRC aren't collecting the much needed revenue from Contracting Scum and the dark siders, because all the Tax take has now been off shored. Who's going to finance the green shoots?

I wonder if Gordo' will staple his hands to the desk in temper on that one?
                  threenine.co.uk
                  Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39 View Post
                    It will be intresting to see, when Darling finds out the HMRC aren't collecting the much needed revenue from Contracting Scum and the dark siders, because all the Tax take has now been off shored. Who's going to finance the green shoots?

I wonder if Gordo' will staple his hands to the desk in temper on that one?
                    It will be interesting indeed now that these roles that formally went to contractors are being offshored 10,000 at a time.
                    None of these roles will pay any UK tax at all and the tax deficit will massively outweigh any of the recently introduced half baked schemes such as IR35 etc.

Will UK Gov do anything to resolve the situation?? No, its too late all of these roles have gone for good and UK Plc are much the poorer in more ways than just lost tax revenue.

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X