• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone going to South Africa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone going to South Africa

I have some rugger - bu**er friends out there who want me to join them, which I have no intention of doing. They sent me their schedule which includes a trip to Soweto.

Just had an email from a South African friend who when told of this sent me this reply:

I would give the bunny-hugger trip to Soweto a miss – it’s a filthy place

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

There is a lot of violent crime there and I certainly would not risk it, not even for the World Cup next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
      There is a lot of violent crime there and I certainly would not risk it, not even for the World Cup next year.
      You great big girl's blouse. I bet you're softer than a stripper in an old folks' home.

However, I'd give Soweto a miss unless you're accompanied by an experienced local.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        You great big girl's blouse. I bet you're softer than a stripper in an old folks' home.

However, I'd give Soweto a miss unless you're accompanied by an experienced local.

Having been drugged and mugged in Rio I tend to be a bit more careful nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          I have some rugger - bu**er friends out there who want me to join them, which I have no intention of doing. They sent me their schedule which includes a trip to Soweto.

Just had an email from a South African friend who when told of this sent me this reply:

In my short time there I did not experience anything. I saw poor people yes, but I saw no crime or violence. But the stories from coworkers were scary.
          Soweto was surprising. The people seemed quite friendly. But except for seeing Mandelas old house we did not wander around much.

I am not sure I would have a vacation there. But for a short business trip where you only expect to see the hotel and office anyway I would not fear too much.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

The local advice is that you should only go to Soweto on an organised trip with an official guide.

Quite why people actually want to do this I can't understand?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
              The local advice is that you should only go to Soweto on an organised trip with an official guide.

Quite why people actually want to do this I can't understand?

tim
              Same reasons people visit leper colonies, I guess.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

There are apparently tourist bus tours of "The`Troubles" areas in Belfast. The bus was stoned by a gang of youths the other day...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8111673.stm
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Rugby = almost as boring as football IMO.....

PZZ

Comment

South Africa

DA,

Go to South Africa. Its a good holiday and great value for money, more so than many other destinations.

Yes there is loads of violent crime , but if you are a tourist you wont see it if you stay out of the cities and dont do anything stupid.

With regards to going to Soweto, like everywhere it has its good and bad bits, but I would not go anywhere like that unaccompanied.

With regards for motive for going to Soweto, some parts would be comparable, to say going to visit a Broadwater Farm estate or Moss Side, or visitng the favelas in Rio, why, unless you get kick from seeing poor people.
                    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Working...
                    X