• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the Police stop you for no reason?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the Police stop you for no reason?

Afternoon,

A couple of days ago a friend of my wife was driving to meet with my wife, it was about 10am in the morning and she driving through a residential / town centre area when she was pulled over by the police. She is a good driver, checks her rear view mirrors regularly etc and says one minute nothing behind her, the next a Police car with the lights and siren going.

At first she thought they were on their way to an incident somewhere so she pulled over to let them pass only they pulled in behind her. At this point she started fearing the worst - something had happened to her kids etc.

The copper in the passenger seat got out, came around to her window and asked her to switch the engine off and then proceeded to question - where have you come from, where you going etc - whilst the other started checking the car over (tyres, tax etc).

She was then asked to take a breathaliser (sp?) which she agreed to and which she passed no problems. By now she was getting quite flustered with the whole episode.

When she asked why had she been pulled over, had she done anything wrong, they answered just routine!

So my question is this, can they pull somebody over for no reason? Do they need to have a reason for asking somebody to take a breathaliser test i.e. smell it on their breathe, slurred speaking, driving erratically?

Once they had confirmed all was ok, they just got in their car and drove off, not so much as an explanation or 'Have a nice day' and left her there. By the time she met up with my wife she was in a right state.

Now i am all for the police doing their job but surely they should only be doing this kind of thing when there is a justified reason.

Alan

If you've done nothing wrong, what's the problem, citizen?

But seriously if I were in her position I'd file a complaint.

A single female occupant stopped for no apparent reason... Dodgy imho.

Comment

Yes.

The plod have quotas.

Quotas need to be filled.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

They can (and do) whatever they want. We live in a police state. Get used to it.

Comment

Well they gave her a reason - it was a routine check. Other reasons might have included matching a description of someone having committed a crime etc. so I don't think there is an issue, had they duffed her up you may have a complaint.

Wasn't there a thread on CUK about more white people being stopped to balance out race related figures? Correlation?
          You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

[QUOTE=Churchill;877018]If you've done nothing wrong, what's the problem, citizen?QUOTE]

But if you have done nothing wrong, why should they stop you, question you and then breathalise you?

The local yobs who insist on smashing up the local Bus Stop are left alone to carry on with their thuggery.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlanR;877030]
              Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              If you've done nothing wrong, what's the problem, citizen?QUOTE]

But if you have done nothing wrong, why should they stop you, question you and then breathalise you?

The local yobs who insist on smashing up the local Bus Stop are left alone to carry on with their thuggery.
              Maybe someone had mowed a person down in a hit and run the week before?

There could be any number of reasons.
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

The fingermen can do what they like.

Also, Telegraph:Police carrying out stop and search 'just for statistics'

If you don't like it, you only have yourself to blame.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                  Well they gave her a reason - it was a routine check. Other reasons might have included matching a description of someone having committed a crime etc. so I don't think there is an issue, had they duffed her up you may have a complaint.

Wasn't there a thread on CUK about more white people being stopped to balance out race related figures? Correlation?
                  So why not say so? And if she had committed a crime, why breathalise her?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
                    The police are too scared to tackle serious troublemakers.

They would rather pick on people people who are obviously respectable and non-threatening.

Ticks the boxes for them and only slightly degrades and insults you.

It's a WIN WIN.

My cousin is a detective in the met and he's a complete thug.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X