• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To protect and to serve ... whom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To protect and to serve ... whom?

Is it my imagination, or are there more and more special bits of the police whose purpose is not to protect us but to protect the government?

I always thought the job of guarding 10 Downing Street etcetc. should be done by army : not armed police. Does not help the police image....

Comment

You mean like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Patrol_Group

I blame Thatcher.

Comment

Swiss police seem really scary, with guns an' all. But the local plod, at least, seem to understand they are part of the community, and are really cool.

I got stopped for not having my lights on at dusk. ( I have a volvo and leave them on - the garage servicing them turned them off, the dashboard remains lit ). When he found I was resident locally, he gave me a little telling off, and let me go.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It is your imagination citizen.

doublebad
          Bored.

Comment

The first (and increasingly, only) duty of the police is to protect their paymasters.

They are not interested in controlling crime, just controlling the population.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I got stopped for not having my lights on at dusk. .
              That's outrageous behaviour.
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                That's outrageous behaviour.
                That's what he said. But we sat down, I poured him some absinthe, and matters resolved themselves. Ok, we blocked a major roadway for a couple of hours, but some things need to be taken seriously for civilisation's sake.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  The first (and increasingly, only) duty of the police is to protect their paymasters.

They are not interested in controlling crime, just controlling the population.
                  Dont forget their role as random tax collectors. It seems more and more that the role of the Police is to generate as much money from speeding fines and fixed penalties as they can.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    Dont forget their role as random tax collectors. It seems more and more that the role of the Police is to generate as much money from speeding fines and fixed penalties as they can.
                    Speeding fines aren't a tax (unless you think GBH fines are a tax on violence) - slow down a bit= no fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X