• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more drinking in public

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more drinking in public

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6571617.ece

"More than 700 “controlled drinking zones” have been set up across England, giving police sweeping powers to confiscate beer and wine from anyone enjoying a quiet outdoor tipple.

Local authorities are introducing the zones at a rate of 100 a year, The Times has learnt. Some cover whole cities, a radical departure from what the law intended."

Now there's a surprise
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

No explanation or suspicion that the person could be a public nuisance is required.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Indeed, Labour in another "Poorly Drafted" & "Over-zealously implemented" law shocker.

That is what you get when you have a party of career politicians passing laws.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Any of them outside pubs?

New Lair's new anthem

Something inside..

The further you take my rights away
        The faster I will run
        Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Actually surprised you have not got it already, been banned here for about 15 years. Mind you, we probably needed it I hear you all shout.

They like to 'crackdown' on posh folk having a picnic in the park sharing a 15 quid bottle of merlot while nutters are wandering the streets with bottles of fortified wine and a knife.

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
            Any of them outside pubs?...
            No, off-licenses - that way they can catch more people.

Dan Travis was leaving an off-licence in Brighton at 7pm with two cans of Kronenberg in his hand when two community support officers asked him to stop (Rosemary Bennett writes).

“They asked me if I knew about alcohol restriction zones and I said I didn’t,” said Mr Travis, a tennis coach. “They said, ‘We have to stop people who we think are drinking, not just drunk’. I pointed out that the cans were not even open, and they said that didn’t matter because they thought I was going to drink them in a public place. They asked me to pour it down the drain.”
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They implemented these areas in my locale quite a while ago. They originaly intended to stop winos being a nuisance.
              The police took the opportunity to stop drinkers stepping outside the pub on a quiet summers evening and using the squares in the pedestrian precinct instead of being cooped up in a hot sweaty pub.
              They do not seem to have taken the same stance with smokers blocking the pavements with a drink in their hand though.
              They have also stopped chasing the winos who now congregate outside the city centre and abuse people using the canal tow path.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                No, off-licenses - that way they can catch more people.

Dan Travis was leaving an off-licence in Brighton at 7pm with two cans of Kronenberg in his hand when two community support officers asked him to stop (Rosemary Bennett writes).

“They asked me if I knew about alcohol restriction zones and I said I didn’t,” said Mr Travis, a tennis coach. “They said, ‘We have to stop people who we think are drinking, not just drunk’. I pointed out that the cans were not even open, and they said that didn’t matter because they thought I was going to drink them in a public place. They asked me to pour it down the drain.”
                I would have asked them to accompany me to my house, where they can see me go inside with my beers. I'd even pull the curtains to one side so they could see me enjoy my refreshing beverage.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Good. Can we get eating in public banned too?

Comment

Bloody hell - you wont even be able to p1ss in public next!!!!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X