• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linked In

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked In

Can anyone tell me if this linkedin new fangled thing is any good (at finding new contracts), how you use it, what you put on it, etc etc?

I've heard a few people saying it's social networking for grown ups and the new way to find work, but come renewal time, should I bother with this?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this linkedin new fangled thing is any good (at finding new contracts), how you use it, what you put on it, etc etc?

I've heard a few people saying it's social networking for grown ups and the new way to find work, but come renewal time, should I bother with this?
    You'll get all the agents sending you requests as there too lazy to do anything constructive but then thats normal. Once you get passed that bit - it can be a good medium to catch up with old contactors and see what people are upto.

It is more granular in control now so maybe worth being on there. Just be mindful of what informattion you let people see

Comment

I've been approached a few times on Linked in but nothing really materialised... but it's worth having, even if it is to keep in touch with old permie / contracting colleagues.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        I've been approached a few times on Linked in but nothing really materialised... but it's worth having, even if it is to keep in touch with old permie / contracting colleagues.
        I do that. It's called the telephone and email.

I'm really struggling to see what it's all about and what value it adds above talking to people.

Comment

I find it's a very re-assuring way of seeing that there are lots and lots of other benched contractors out there and for establishing which companies are shedding permies as well. There does seem to be a definite split though on the should you / should you not allow agents onto your contact list issue (me - no).
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

My mate got offered a job in Canada last week based on his linked in. I think thats more to do with one of his mates worked at this company already rather than linked in being the tulip.

Comment

I do that. It's called the telephone and email.

I'm really struggling to see what it's all about and what value it adds above talking to people.
              Ive also really tried to get some value out of LinkedIn but all I get is bulltulip requests from agents who are looking for leads so have not been effective as a business tool IMV.

Phone and email are still the communication media of choice for me. Eveything that LinkedIn claims to make easier is actually not better than 'phone and email IMV.

PZZ

Comment

I see Linkedin as a backup in case I ever lose my email account.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

It's like friends re-united for business really.

It's allowed me to catch up with a couple of ex-colleagues I'd lost the details of. Other than that...
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                    It's like friends re-united for business really.

It's allowed me to catch up with a couple of ex-colleagues I'd lost the details of. Other than that...
                    I find an email/phone call followed by a couple of pints works better than LinkedIn any day!

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X