• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Same company, different planets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same company, different planets

BA staff had 2 options:

1. Take unpaid leave.
    2. Go to work but don't get paid for it.

800 of them chose option 2 over option 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8119388.stm

Anybody explain this please?

A couple of things come to mind.

Wanting to be a company man\woman and hoping that it may lead to something better down the line (promotion, bonus, guarding against redundancy)

Being bored while not working for a month, there are people like that you know (not me I hasten to add!)

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      A couple of things come to mind.

Wanting to be a company man\woman and hoping that it may lead to something better down the line (promotion, bonus, guarding against redundancy)

Being bored while not working for a month, there are people like that you know (not me I hasten to add!)
      I agree with you about the first point.

As for the second, I'm 4 months on the bench now, I've watched 1 DVD, read 1 book and am on 2nd, have gone out with my camera stuff 2 or 3 times, cycled a few hours once, gone into London 0 times, gone to a museum/gallery 0 times (I like doing that) etc etc etc. Bored not working? No way.

Comment

On a wider point, a company that announces so publicly that it needs its staff to work for nothing isn't sending the market a particularly good message. Were I one Richard Branson, I would be rubbing my hands in glee and getting ready to make like a vulture.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

When the redundancies come those who worked for free will expect to be better placed than those who took a month off.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            On a wider point, a company that announces so publicly that it needs its staff to work for nothing isn't sending the market a particularly good message. Were I one Richard Branson, I would be rubbing my hands in glee and getting ready to make like a vulture.
            So would O'Leary

In fact Bishop said he would donate a lot of the proceeds of his remaining stake in BMI to his charity - with BA's share price falling he could buy them instead.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              When the redundancies come those who worked for free will expect to be better placed than those who took a month off.
              Poor deluded permies.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Wils View Post
                BA staff had 2 options:

1. Take unpaid leave.
                2. Go to work but don't get paid for it.

800 of them chose option 2 over option 1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8119388.stm

Anybody explain this please?
                A few of reasons:-

They get to fly to the 4 corners of the globe free of charge, get to sh*g the trolly dollies while staying in reasonably good hotels.

They get expenses paid, so not quite working for fee & pension will be credited.

Flight crews get to clock up additional flight hours that are needed to get to the next grade.

There are probably more....

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                X