• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for clearing that up.

Speaking later at Imperial College, London, Mr Cameron said: "This is not about MPs who have broken the rules. We all know the rules weren't good enough.
    So contrary to what we all thought, it's not a case of dishonest, theiving, cheating M.P's, it's the "rules" that are at fault!

All blame is hereby absolved. Those nice upstanding ladies and gentlemen were simply victims, yes victims, of a set of rules designed to ensnare them.

WTF happened to knowing the difference between right and wrong, between honesty and dishonesty?

Quite frankly, with woolly-minded ill-thought out bollox like that, the next election is as good as Labours'.
    The vegetarian option.

It's akin to dipping your hand in a collection box and saying there were no rules saying you couldn't take money out.

Comment

Im reminded of Ken Livingstone's novel - 'If voting changed anything then they would abolish it. '

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        It's akin to dipping your hand in a collection box and saying there were no rules saying you couldn't take money out.
        Not quite, several people have said they were advised to claim full amounts regardless... "it's just part of your salary". I'm sure many of us have been in situations where employers have done things in that way to avoid paperwork. It doesn't absolve responsibility on the MPs who were blatently playing the system, but I think some at least were genuinely following advice from people they thought knew best.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not quite, several people have said they were advised to claim full amounts regardless... "it's just part of your salary". I'm sure many of us have been in situations where employers have done things in that way to avoid paperwork. It doesn't absolve responsibility on the MPs who were blatently playing the system, but I think some at least were genuinely following advice from people they thought knew best.
          Claiming for a mortgage or a house you haven't got is fraudulent. No "ifs" or "buts"!

Comment

You could say the same about IR35. But when you get caught, you don't get to just hand the money back. No, you get forked over.

Comment

Quite apart from the MPs making these dubious expenses claims, I'm surprised that more attention hasn't been focused on the Claims Office. They seem to have cleared pretty much anything that was passed through them, without question. Maybe it was just a couple of temps sitting at a shared desk and just entering the claims into a spreadsheet and paying out the cash, but it seems to me that that is the real weak point in the system.

It's the thought that someone might query your claim which stops most people from trying anything dodgy, I would have thought. If you know that nothing is going to be questioned then it must be very easy to get "a little carried away" shall we say.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                simple reading of "The Green Book" tells you how wrong Cameron (and the rest) is and how wrong your statement is.

The book states that the individual MP is responsible for the validity of any claim.

The book states that claims must be in order to enable the MP to carry out their parliamentry duties.

The book states that claims must be reasonable and not likely to damage the reputation of Parliament.

Aside from the fact that they can claim all sorts we can not they are still managing to claim for things they should not and are interpreting "enableing them to carry out their duties" in a much looser way than HMRC interprets "wholey and exclusively for work" for us.

This "I have not broken the rules" mantra is bollocks. Most of them have broken the rules and have certainly ignored the guidance. If they think their claims would not damage the reputatuíon of Parliament then they are patently not competent to be an MP. The public are outraged and Parliaments reputation will take years to restore.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  You do that too?
                  You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Claiming for a mortgage or a house you haven't got is fraudulent. No "ifs" or "buts"!
                    Now re-read my post...
                    Originally posted by d000hg
                    It doesn't absolve responsibility on the MPs who were blatently playing the system...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X