• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Makro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makro

Does anyone here shop at Makro?
    I can't see anything at my local store which isn't cheaper at Asda or Tesco. Even when you reclaim the VAT.
    Am I missing something here?

Agreed. I gave up for that very reason.

Comment

It used to be really good about 15 years ago but you're right in saying that it's no better than Tesco or Asda nowadays. Try Costco if you want the real deal - you may have to pay for membership but you'll make the money back in no time.

Comment

But can you buy a sack of tea bags or a gallon of ketchup at Asda/Tesco?
        You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
          But can you buy a sack of tea bags or a gallon of ketchup at Asda/Tesco?
          Do you really need to?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It ain't any cheaper but they do sell stuff in trade sized bottle/cans/box whatever which can work out cheaper. Large bottle of Tabasco for example which hardly any place sells which will work out cheaper than buying the same amount in smaller bottles. The beer selection is fantastic as well and I implore you to try the BBQ Chicken Wings they sell, bloody amazing. Bag of them and a crate of beer and I am as happy as a pig in tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              Do you really need to?
              Have you any idea just how much ketchupy tea I drink?!
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

I don't blindly buy humungous sizes of stuff just because it's a bit cheaper, because I don't have space for everything, and if I'm counting the cost then I factor in the storage cost, and that often changes the equation.

And I'm fussy about what I buy, especially in food. OK, Tabasco is Tabasco, but most "economy" chicken is not about to pass my lips.

And I won't shop at Asda because it's owned by oppressive religious lunatics.

Wot me grumpy???

Comment

Used to go there, but realized that the only things that I could save money on were the very things that I didn't want to buy like poorly fitting unbranded speedos, brands of beer with unappealing names, white wine simply labeled white wine etc...

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                    It used to be really good about 15 years ago but you're right in saying that it's no better than Tesco or Asda nowadays. Try Costco if you want the real deal - you may have to pay for membership but you'll make the money back in no time.
                    Costco is lethal for buying huge supersize packets and bottles of stuff. Our house looks like a scene from the Borrowers at times.

They must spray some sort of impulse buy gas into those warehouses (box of 500 'Flying Saucers' anyone or 100kilo jar of Jellybellys. I also have enough razor blades to last well beyond my hundredth birthday.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X