• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how low can I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how low can I go?

I found myself looking at a permie job, where I fitted all the keywords, but the salary was, after tax, just about enough to pay the mortgage and no more. Not good because I do have other bills (e.g. council tax) and a little bit of credit to service.

Oh well, I thought, maybe I could take it for a year and hope things get better.

Then I looked at it: I've just turned 58. It's on the cards that I might only have another 10 or so good years of life (after that I'll be pushing 70). Do I really want to spend one of them merely existing?

Now, you in your 20s or 30s: it doesn't hit you so hard, but the question is the same for you. Throw it away, and you will never get it back either.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I found myself looking at a permie job, where I fitted all the keywords, but the salary was, after tax, just about enough to pay the mortgage and no more. Not good because I do have other bills (e.g. council tax) and a little bit of credit to service.

Oh well, I thought, maybe I could take it for a year and hope things get better.

Then I looked at it: I've just turned 58. It's on the cards that I might only have another 10 or so good years of life (after that I'll be pushing 70). Do I really want to spend one of them merely existing?

Now, you in your 20s or 30s: it doesn't hit you so hard, but the question is the same for you. Throw it away, and you will never get it back either.
    Some money is better than no money??

You could always work behind a bar or at B&Q in the evenings/weekends to make some fag money. I hear that B&Q prefer old folk as they know more about house decoration etc and can help customers all the better...

PZZ

Comment

Sad that we've come to this. Commiserations. At 52 I'm lucky to have the mortgage etc all paid off, zero debt.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Ask yourself if it's better than sitting at home doing nowt.

On the other side of the coin I took a permie job in the early 1990s just to pay the bills and do little more than exist, and definitely regretted it.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Sad that we've come to this. Commiserations. At 52 I'm lucky to have the mortgage etc all paid off, zero debt.
          I'm nearly 50, have a 200k mortgage to service and no contract.

Comment

It is better than nothing, no doubt. What I was getting at was the realisation of how little time I have left, how much of a waste even one year would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              I'm nearly 50, have a 200k mortgage to service and no contract.
              with knobs on.

Comment

It is better than nothing, no doubt. What I was getting at was the realisation of how little time I have left, how much of a waste even one year would be.
                I hope things pick up soon for you. What field are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  I hope things pick up soon for you. What field are you in?
                  Snap to Archangel.

Field: Siebel. Data Migration. Oracle PL/SQL. Database & data load & interface performance tuning. Plus another 19 years of various: Client/Server. Windows App GUIs, Credit card mainframe systems, COBOL CICS MVS etc, IBM Assembler, RPG, ...... nothing of any value now.

Comment

Snap to Archangel.

Field: Siebel. Data Migration. Oracle PL/SQL. Database & data load & interface performance tuning. Plus another 19 years of various: Client/Server. Windows App GUIs, Credit card mainframe systems, COBOL CICS MVS etc, IBM Assembler, RPG, ...... nothing of any value now.
                    Oh dear, that's Chinese to me. I hoped you were in engineering I might have been able to help. Hope it picks up soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X