• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heatwave warning - Extreme temperatures next week!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heatwave warning - Extreme temperatures next week!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8121410.stm

All of you lucky folk in contracts - take it easy next week.
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Pah! You bunch of girls- it has been 34-36 in the shade here all month and will reach 38 next week.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
      Pah! You bunch of girls- it has been 34-36 in the shade here all month and will reach 38 next week.

PZZ
      I bet all your public transport's got air-con?? The London Underground is a nasty place to be when the temperature outside rises above 30C.

Not going to bother me though - I'll be taking some tinnies down the river - one of the few advantages of benchdom..
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I've been seeing conflicting weather reports for the weekend all week, from two different sources, and they still haven't started converging into one yet, with only hours to go.

Comment

PZZ
          I remember the canicule from some years ago. In france all the time, peak temp was 47, never got below 39 where I was was. My scots mate had to take his jacket off.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            I remember the canicule from some years ago. In france all the time, peak temp was 47, never got below 39 where I was was. My scots mate had to take his jacket off.
            Ah, but did he stoop to putting water in his whisky?

Comment

PZZ
              As Mr Mark said odds are where you are has suitable infrastructure to deal with higher temperatures, plus the people are acclimatised to the temperatures.

Here in dear old Britain we have issues with roads melting, rails bending and buildings designed to retain heat and people who only get exposed to 25c + every few years apart from when they're on holiday.
              If nothing else people don't have suitable every day clothes or are expected to wear much less summery stuff to work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                I bet all your public transport's got air-con?? The London Underground is a nasty place to be when the temperature outside rises above 30C.

Not going to bother me though - I'll be taking some tinnies down the river - one of the few advantages of benchdom..
                SOME LT carriages have air con these days, you will also be able to use your mobile 'phone and wifi in a few months.

Ive never taken public transport here, my car has air con but I generally walk to where I need to do these days. Mainly my favorite pub (2 mins), Beach (2 mins) this month as Im working at home on paperwork and not back in the office 'till July sometime.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  Ah, but did he stoop to putting water in his whisky?
                  Good god no. It was nowhere near that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    As Mr Mark said odds are where you are has suitable infrastructure to deal with higher temperatures, plus the people are acclimatised to the temperatures.

Here in dear old Britain we have issues with roads melting, rails bending and buildings designed to retain heat and people who only get exposed to 25c + every few years apart from when they're on holiday.
                    If nothing else people don't have suitable every day clothes or are expected to wear much less summery stuff to work.
                    The UK cant cope when the temperature gets too cold either, wrong kind of leaves on the line in Autumn, too much rain for the drains to cope with. A disaster for all seasons!

Having gigged at Railtrack, LU and road cos in the past, I know that all of the problems you mention could have been avoided if only someone had had a bit for forsight.

God help you when global warming kicks in!

PZZ

Comment

Working...
                    X