• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you had your time again would you still work in IT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had your time again would you still work in IT?

I wouldn't, I'd do my upmost to get trained in something like pharmacy. I realise the uni course is meant to be difficult, but once you're working you're guaranteed regular work. I'd like to think I'd still be interested in IT matters, but as a career move it's been a disaster, even allowing for some good years. I'm sure I would have earnt more (or at least equalled) working regularly in a shop or McDs, instead of the ups and downs of IT. Or perhaps it just feels that way because I got used to spending more, and haven't been able to adjust to the last 7 years?

Signed A bitter Benchie
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Become a merchant banker - does not matter how bad things get you have the comfort of knowing that the government of the day will have to bail you out.

Me, I would never enter the IT industry if I was starting my career now - there is no future or money in it any more. 5 more years and it will be as dead as dead.

Im thinking of getting more into the antiques business as I am rapidly becoming one myself!

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
      Become a merchant banker - does not matter how bad things get you have the comfort of knowing that the government of the day will have to bail you out.

Me, I would never enter the IT industry if I was starting my career now - there is no future or money in it any more. 5 more years and it will be as dead as dead.

Im thinking of getting more into the antiques business as I am rapidly becoming one myself!

PZZ
      Well, me and the missus may well be running a market stall soon. Won't pay a fortune, but it'll be a lot better than waiting next to the telephone chewing fingers off.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
        Well, me and the missus may well be running a market stall soon. Won't pay a fortune, but it'll be a lot better than waiting next to the telephone chewing fingers off.
        ...many a millionaire started on a market stall without 2 pennies to rub together. Ideal place to learn to sell just about anything.

What would you sell BTW??

PZZ

Comment

Craft stuff (especially from the ME - my other half has contacts), mainly well-made hand-made products. Some kitchenware (wooden utensils) and Oriental rug/carpets. You have to choose the right market to sell it on, but basically the difficult thing is sourcing the stuff. Luckily, as I say, my missus has some family contacts. It's still not certain, but if a contract doesn't show soon, we'll have to get the insurance started out and go full ahead with this (we've already done a couple of trial runs, so we know we can sell stuff - well if we don't we're in the gutter )

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            Craft stuff (especially from the ME - my other half has contacts), mainly well-made hand-made products. Some kitchenware (wooden utensils) and Oriental rug/carpets. You have to choose the right market to sell it on, but basically the difficult thing is sourcing the stuff. Luckily, as I say, my missus has some family contacts. It's still not certain, but if a contract doesn't show soon, we'll have to get the insurance started out and go full ahead with this (we've already done a couple of trial runs, so we know we can sell stuff - well if we don't we're in the gutter )
            Sounds a great idea, let me know if you want any products from Eastern Europe and I will send over some contacts.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              Sounds a great idea, let me know if you want any products from Eastern Europe and I will send over some contacts.

PZZ
              thx. I may be in touch if an alleged contract doesn't show next week.

Comment

Yes.

You have to remember that IT makes up a massive cross section of jobs. It is like asking a van driver "would you still want to do a driving job for a living?", then you could ask a F1 driver "would you still want to do a driving job for a living?".

Comment

To be honest... yes.

I love development, and quite often find myself doing pet projects at home for fun.

This is probably a sign that I'm in the right job!

The unpredictability of IT is a bit pants, but I think that if you're very good at what you do (and keep a good network of people around you), you'll still do well, even in harder times.

Comment

I very nearly became an investment banker at 25. Wish it had happened.

Comment

Working...
                    X