• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tipping the hairdresser!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tipping the hairdresser!!!

I am all for giving tips to the hairdressers. But if it's the owner of the hairdressers that cuts your hair then should you tip them too?

If she's a fit hairdresser, yes, you should give her some tip.

Comment

This is actually a trickier question than it may at first sound.

My regular barber, in the UK, has been cutting my hair for almost 20 years. I wouldn't dream of tipping him when he cuts my hair personally (most times), although I always tip his girls if they trim my barnet. About 10% is appropriate.

Abroad, I'm usually at a bit of a loss whether to tip, or how much.

There should be a website about how much to tip hairdressers (and others) depending on country and circumstances.

This is close, but less than ideal if you are not an American: -

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/06/24...ch-should-tip/

Good pointer though: -

A gentleman knows when and how to tip those who serve him. The unmannered and uncouth do not.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I tip whoever cuts my hair, as I feel it is the personal service one is acknowledging rather than the position of the person who performs it.

Cue long philosophical debate about the Barber Paradox
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 27 June 2009, 16:50.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My barber doesn't charge that much at £7.00 it's his business and he's quite busy.

I always tip him a quid as I've often turned up late and he's taken the trouble to stay open rather than telling me to sod off

Comment

Depends on the cost. I either pay £15 or £10.50 depending where I am and both are expensive enough but I`m more likely to tip the £10.50 dude,. If i could get a GOOD cut for £7 I`d tip all the time
            Last edited by SuperZ; 27 June 2009, 17:24.

Comment

Tipping someone who cut's your hair?

Whatever next?
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                Tipping someone who cut's your hair?

Whatever next?
                Well, if your mum cut's your hair, you don't have to tip. So don't worry.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Mrs BP cuts my hair. Should I tip her?

Comment

At £12.50 for a hair job I feel Im already paying enough!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X