• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More currently reading......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More currently reading......

Just finished the Painted Man by Peter V. Brett, what a superb read, highly recommended.

"A complete history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson.

Third attempt and manged to finish it this time.

I normally love Bryson's travel writing, but this book is a bit of an epic failure.

Trying to explain 'nearly everything' (in one book!) is an endeavor doomed to failure and ignominy.

Bryson flits around various topics ranging from the Big Bang, the Periodic Table, Fossils, Volcanos and Tectonic plates before winding up with evolution and the ascent of man.

Jacob Bronowski spent 13 hour long TV episodes on the latter, alone.

Normally Bryson is laugh-out-loud funny, and while some of his sparkle comes across in this epic tome, it is mostly boring waffle.

Not recommended.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Monsoon by Wilbur Smith

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Monsoon by Wilbur Smith
        And...

What did you think of it?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Read Revelation, the latest in the Shardlake series by C J Sansom.

Excellent, like its predecessors in the same series.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            [I]I normally love Bryson's travel writing, but this book is a bit of an epic failure.
            Agree, never finished that one and normally love Bryson.

Walk in the woods is my favourite.

Comment

Just finished The Peaches by Dylan Thomas while sitting on the beach.

Will probably read one of the Stainless Steel Rat books tomorrow, or maybe something IT related.

PZZ

Comment

Soul Music - Terry Pratchett
                Winnetou - May
                Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
                Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
                Other Worlds - Michio Kaku
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The Bell Jar.
                  Last edited by thunderlizard; 28 June 2009, 22:35.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    "A complete history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson.

Third attempt and manged to finish it this time.

I normally love Bryson's travel writing, but this book is a bit of an epic failure.

Trying to explain 'nearly everything' (in one book!) is an endeavor doomed to failure and ignominy.

Bryson flits around various topics ranging from the Big Bang, the Periodic Table, Fossils, Volcanos and Tectonic plates before winding up with evolution and the ascent of man.

Jacob Bronowski spent 13 hour long TV episodes on the latter, alone.

Normally Bryson is laugh-out-loud funny, and while some of his sparkle comes across in this epic tome, it is mostly boring waffle.

Not recommended.
                    It's not called a 'complete' history of nearly everything, it's called a 'short' history of nearly everything which is why it just touches on each topic.

I think it is an excellent light read (I would not call it an epic tome?) which outlines a lot of important developments within our human history and understanding of the world around us.

Read something like the Times complete history of the world if you want something more in-depth in one volume.
                    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Working...
                    X