• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

American National. HSMP Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American National. HSMP Expenses

I have to get an HSMP visa to work in the UK. The application costs around £900. Can this be considered business expenses for a contractor?

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    I have to get an HSMP visa to work in the UK. The application costs around £900. Can this be considered business expenses for a contractor?
    No. Next.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      No. Next.
      And why not - you don't think this would be considered an expense for a multi national organisation that was bringing one of their employees from overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by backlight View Post
        And why not - you don't think this would be considered an expense for a multi national organisation that was bringing one of their employees from overseas.
        If you are telling me that the OP is working for a multi-national company as a FTC or a permie, and not a contractor, then the OP will need to ask his / her employer to see if it is claimable. However, as a contractor, the OP has made the decision to come and work in this country, therefore his / her visa is not claimable (as far as I know) through their own Ltd or Umbrella company. I would seriously consider asking their accountant / umbrella company for an official line here.

However, if any experienced contractor on this forum knows differently, then I would be happy to stand corrected.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

AIUI the "wholly and exclusively" rule still applies. Decide to come here to look for work and it's not claimable. Already have a role here and need the permit to work, then it is, except of course you can't be offered a job in the UK without a permit to work so that doesn't really apply (and if it's your employer moving you then they need to sort it out and would use a Tier 2 or an ITC as appropriate).

Given the nature of an HMSP anyway, I doubt they would be claimable.

Of course, who in their right mind would want to move into the UK right now anyway.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks. Keep them coming.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            AIUI the "wholly and exclusively" rule still applies. Decide to come here to look for work and it's not claimable. Already have a role here and need the permit to work, then it is, except of course you can't be offered a job in the UK without a permit to work so that doesn't really apply (and if it's your employer moving you then they need to sort it out and would use a Tier 2 or an ITC as appropriate).

Given the nature of an HMSP anyway, I doubt they would be claimable.

Of course, who in their right mind would want to move into the UK right now anyway.
            Cheers. This is all good advice. I have been in the UK on HSMP and applying for an extension. So I dony know if that changes things.

Comment

I would agree, expense occurred before employment so not claimable.

PZZ

Comment

Surely the cost should be claimable by the OP's Ltd Co, though not by him or her personally?

It is true that he got the visa first and then the employment, so it is not an expense of that employment. But the Ltd Co got the contract, then found someone to fill it, but couldn't employ them until a visa was obtained; so it is an expnse of that contract for the Ltd Co.

Compare with a large consultancy: no-one is suggesting that an individual employed by a large consultancy will personally claim the cost of the visa; but if the consultancy pays for it then I am sure that they would expect to claim it as an expense of their business.

Comment

Surely HSMP has been reduced significantly, if not stopped altogether?

Comment

Dont bother renewing the HSMP Visa.

Whos going to check ?

inland revenue -no
                    agency - no
                    end client -no

Comment

Working...
                    X