• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the government get rid of Mervyn King?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the government get rid of Mervyn King?

The Governor of the Bank of England has criticised Labour in the past for running a deficit in the good times. Now he says that there will have to be cuts whoever wins the next election.

Labour obviously deny all this, and they won't tolerate The Bank saying the same thing as the Tories, so I wondered if Governor is another job ripe for inserting a Labour placeman.

Can they do it?

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The Governor of the Bank of England has criticised Labour in the past for running a deficit in the good times. Now he says that there will have to be cuts whoever wins the next election.

Labour obviously deny all this, and they won't tolerate The Bank saying the same thing as the Tories, so I wondered if Governor is another job ripe for inserting a Labour placeman.

Can they do it?
    I'm sure that they could but the amount of flak they'd take for doing so probably makes it less-than-palatable for Cyclops and his team.

Comment

Of course there won't be cuts. Labour never make them.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        I'm sure that they could but the amount of flak they'd take for doing so probably makes it less-than-palatable for Cyclops and his team.
        On the other hand, Labour are building their election campaign around the slogan "Tory Cuts v Labour Investment".

So they can ill afford the most authoritative financial institution in the country saying the slogan is at best rubbish, at worst based on lies.

Comment

He has only just been re-appointed for another term. The government’s tenure will expire before his. To get rid of him they would have to do a Kelly.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            He has only just been re-appointed for another term. The government’s tenure will expire before his. To get rid of him they would have to do a Kelly.
            So Mervyn King shouldn't go walking in the woods then? I'll bear that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              On the other hand, Labour are building their election campaign around the slogan "Tory Cuts v Labour Investment".

So they can ill afford the most authoritative financial institution in the country saying the slogan is at best rubbish, at worst based on lies.
              I have a suspicion that the labour election strategy of jumping up and down complaining about tory and liberal cuts could go down as the worst political strategy in history. I think most people now accept that, whether you agree with the bank bailouts etc or not, the money has to be found from somewhere, and since we are basically broke cuts in the public sector are inevitable.

I suspect a majority of people, when they hear of labour's "tory cuts" jibe - under the present circumstances are thinking "yes.....and?"
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                I have a suspicion that the labour election strategy of jumping up and down complaining about tory and liberal cuts could go down as the worst political strategy in history. I think most people now accept that, whether you agree with the bank bailouts etc or not, the money has to be found from somewhere, and since we are basically broke cuts in the public sector are inevitable.

I suspect a majority of people, when they hear of labour's "tory cuts" jibe - under the present circumstances are thinking "yes.....and?"
                Do we think it's time to resurrect the Labour Isn't Working poster from the 1979 general election?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  Do we think it's time to resurrect the Labour Isn't Working poster from the 1979 general election?
                  I think labour strategists are blowing it in such biblical fashion that the tories and liberals don't actually need to do anything to beat them. It's almost as if labour have had enough and want out.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

Sadly, it may not be. I believe that it stands a very good chance of working. The people of the country ARE that stupid to fall for it.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X