• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rejecting a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejecting a contract

Hi folks I have one for you that I would like some ideas on.

I have been working in Geneva for the past 3 months on a crap rate but I didn't know how expensive things were out here before I headed over. It would have helped had the agent been a bit more honest at the outset. I was told I could easily get a furnished flat in Geneva for about 1000 swiss francs - what a load of horse tulip. Anyway that is probably my fault as I should have reserched the role better. Since then the pound has marched on and my rate has been further erroded. Utilmately I have been losing money on this role but figured I'm losing money more slowly than if I didn't have a job, so I have stuck with it.

The client wanted to extend my contract and I told the agent that I wanted an increase. Staright away he offered me 735 cfh a day (from 656). Initially (about a month ago) I said yes to this. However I have since found out that a colleague, doing the same role as me, working here via the same agency will be on 855 for the same work. Last week I told the agent I wanted partity with this and that I was rejecting the extension offer. He said he would get back to me and has not done so. My current contract ends tomorrow and my notice in this contract is 30 days. I suspect the agent may have been billing the same for us all along and pocketing the difference but I'll never be able to prove that.

So what are my options?

I don't really want to walk tomorrow as it looks unprofessional in the eyes of the end client, but I'm not staying on the rate I'm on. I have a very good chance of another role which I should hear back about in 2 weeks or so - I'd say there is a 90% chance it will come off as it's working with one of my mates and just waiting for the green light from his PM.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Hi folks I have one for you that I would like some ideas on.

I have been working in Geneva for the past 3 months on a crap rate but I didn't know how expensive things were out here before I headed over. It would have helped had the agent been a bit more honest at the outset. I was told I could easily get a furnished flat in Geneva for about 1000 swiss francs - what a load of horse tulip. Anyway that is probably my fault as I should have reserched the role better. Since then the pound has marched on and my rate has been further erroded. Utilmately I have been losing money on this role but figured I'm losing money more slowly than if I didn't have a job, so I have stuck with it.

The client wanted to extend my contract and I told the agent that I wanted an increase. Staright away he offered me 735 cfh a day (from 656). Initially (about a month ago) I said yes to this. However I have since found out that a colleague, doing the same role as me, working here via the same agency will be on 855 for the same work. Last week I told the agent I wanted partity with this and that I was rejecting the extension offer. He said he would get back to me and has not done so. My current contract ends tomorrow and my notice in this contract is 30 days. I suspect the agent may have been billing the same for us all along and pocketing the difference but I'll never be able to prove that.

So what are my options?

I don't really want to walk tomorrow as it looks unprofessional in the eyes of the end client, but I'm not staying on the rate I'm on. I have a very good chance of another role which I should hear back about in 2 weeks or so - I'd say there is a 90% chance it will come off as it's working with one of my mates and just waiting for the green light from his PM.
    Sounds like hang on for a couple of weeks then tell the agent to do one - you're in a much stronger bargaining position then.

Comment

Try and take this constructively Tony, but is sounds as if you were impulsive rushing over there without researching the cost of accomodation and further compounded this initial haste by impulsively accepting a rate without researching what you should really be on first.

From where you are now, surely the best strategic move would be to check notice terms in your current contract and try and secure the contract you spoke of in writing before leaving this one.

Sorry to preach, but these are lessons I too have learnt and now I research and plan to the hilt before agreeing to anything.
      Last edited by Amiga500; 29 June 2009, 12:13.
      You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

If terms and conditions haven't been agreed then there's no contract past the end date.

I'd mention this to the client and thank them for the time you've had there. If they're expecting you to stay they will rocket the agent and the agent will get back to you. You can then dictate terms including rate and if you feel like it agree a weekly, fortnightly or monthly rolling contract allowing you to take the new one if it comes off.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          Sounds like hang on for a couple of weeks then tell the agent to do one - you're in a much stronger bargaining position then.
          WHS +1

Your notice period is zero after tomorrow if you don't get a renewal in place sharpish.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
            Try and take this constructively Tony, but is sounds as if you were impulsive rushing over there without researching the cost of accomodation and further compounded this initial haste by impulsively accepting a rate without researching what you should really be on first.

From where you are now, surely the best strategic move would be to check notice terms in your current contract and try and secure the contract you spoke of in writing before leaving this one.

Sorry to preach, but these are lessons I too have learnt and now I research and plan to the hilt before agreeing to anything.
            I agree with everything you say - when I first started speaking about this role I quoted 400 gbp a day and asked the agent what things would be like out here on this rate i.e. prices amount after tax etc. he said tax was low in Switzerland - it is (ish), but all expenses are paid for after tax and the amounts quoted by the agent in terms of costs to rent places were miles off what they are. He is Swiss himself so he should have known.

I told him as soon as I was offered the extension that I wanted an increase and he gave one almost immediately - too easily I thought. Only after did I find the true amount that others were on, so I told him I wanted parity with them.

My thought is to serve 30 notice if no extra increase is offered.

Either way when/if the other role comes up I will be taking it.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of living in Geneva for a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

My thought is to serve 30 notice if no extra increase is offered.

Either way when/if the other role comes up I will be taking it.
                If the contract term is up then there's no notice period applicable.

Use this opportunity to negotiate your socks off, you've got nothing to lose and are in the driving seat if the client is keen to keep you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                  Last time I was out there, you needed 1000 Swiss PD to give the equivalent of 500 UKP PD after taxes and expenses.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                    Extortionate! I have to work through a management company - my rate was set at 656 francs a day which was 400 gbp when the rate was 1.64. It's now just touching 1.8 meaning at the bank you'll probably get about 1.84 when exchanging it - making 356 gbp a day. Tax accounts for 68% of this meaning after tax I have a take home of 242 a day. Out of that comes my flights and accomodation which usually account for about 400 all told - staying in tulip hotels in a horrible little french town just over the border. I have to stay here for 5 nights as the flights don't allow an early morning flight in on Mondays. Say about 100 fpr food and other costs for the 6 6 days.

Total earnings = 1212 - 500 = 712 a week.

That does not compensate for living away, the tulip places I have stayed in, the hassle and the food I have had to endure.

If you want a laugh do a hotels.com search on Geneva. The nice ones are about 160 a night plus.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X