• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching from Permanent to Contracting!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from Permanent to Contracting!

Hi,

I am currently working on permanent role and want to switch to contracting. I know the market is not good but still wants ot estimate the kind of risk I am taking.
    I have got good QTP, MQC and manual testing experience. currently working for electronic trading software provider company.

Is it possible to get a contract without quitting my permanent job? I have got some notice period as well.

Originally posted by VimalKumarPandey View Post
    Hi,

I am currently working on permanent role and want to switch to contracting. I know the market is not good but still wants ot estimate the kind of risk I am taking.
    I have got good QTP, MQC and manual testing experience. currently working for electronic trading software provider company.

Is it possible to get a contract without quitting my permanent job? I have got some notice period as well.
    How much notice period?

It is possible : but difficult. Of course if you quit you become available quicker and so more likely to get a job. But nothing guaranteed.

Also remember that agents see first time contractors as cannon fodder and will screw you over rate.

IMO you should wait until after next April before going contract unless you have a ob to go to.

BP

Comment

The market is improving a bit, but it's desperate compared to 12-18 months ago. There appears to be a lot of experienced testing contractors on the bench at the moment.

I don't think now is a good time to jump from a good permie job. Of course if your permie role sucks donkey danglies that's a different matter, but a jump into contracting in the current market seems insane.

Comment

Do it, and post regularly here so future potential contractors can see how you get on.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Hi,

Go for it, it's brilliant, virtually no tax to pay, tons of tax free expenses, mega hourly rates and shed loads of hours available!!!!!! It's great, don't hang around, just do it!!!!
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hi,

Is there a provision in yr current job to pay for the notice period, rather than actually undergo it? If so, you can start looking. otherwise, look for the no of gigs matching yr exact skillset and exp (there don't have to be dozens of them, remember you need only one, but at least a few to dive in), and analyse yr strength and expertise in yr field. If you feel confident, jump-into the fray. Otherwise be happy

Comment

Anybody who has a decent permie job right now would be a complete moron to try and jump into contracting.

If you really want to make the switch (which you don't because you want to sit in your permie job and find a contract that pays big $$$ before you hand in your resignation) wait until the recession is over.

Comment

going contracting is so last year...

Comment

I would say chuck in your permie job and look around for a contract role. Then you will have plenty of time on your hands to do stuff like post on here.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                    Anybody who has a decent permie job right now would be a complete moron to try and jump into contracting.

If you really want to make the switch (which you don't because you want to sit in your permie job and find a contract that pays big $$$ before you hand in your resignation) wait until the recession is over.
                    +1
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X