• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cull all IT Contractors (and PMs) under 35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cull all IT Contractors (and PMs) under 35

Then we might deliver some projects that actually work.

If we were to commission the 1960s Severn Bridge today, it would go half as far, and cost 15 times as much.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 29 June 2009, 18:25. Reason: maths

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

to become good at anything take 10 years; or 10,000 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Then we might deliver some projects that actually work.

If we were to commission the 1960s Severn Bridge today, it would go half as far, and cost 15 times as much.

Did you know that the entire Apollo programme cost $135 billion when taking inflation into account?

That's about the price of;
      - 1 NHS patient registration system (incomplete)
      - 1 national ID card system (incomplete, mercifully)

It's small beer compared to the price of saving banks from their own incompetence, and only enough to keep GM running for a few months or so.

Were NASA's engineers an incredibly efficient bunch or are today's business and economic 'leaders' incompetent wasters?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Were NASA's engineers an incredibly efficient bunch or are today's business and economic 'leaders' incompetent wasters?
        Mitch,

I have huge admiration for the NASA guys of the 1960s.

They were the guys who could just 'do stuff'. They could just make it happen. Real engineers of our dad's and granddad's generation. The guys with the right stuff, and a pipe-full of tobacco and a slide rule.

With JFK's blessing and $Xbn commitment, they were unleashed, free of most of the NASA management, and they got the job done.

It seems incredible now, but I witnessed it, as a lad, in 1969.

We can't do that kind of thing today.

It's a lost art.

No wonder so many young people now think it was a hoax!
        Last edited by bogeyman; 29 June 2009, 19:12. Reason: dates

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Mitch,

They were the guys who could just 'do stuff'. They could just make it happen. Real engineers of our dad's and granddad's generation. The guys with the right stuff, and a pipe-full of tobacco and a slide rule.

With JFK's blessing and $Xbn commitment, they were unleashed, free of most of the NASA management, and they got the job done.

It seems incredible now, but I witnessed it, as a lad, in 1979.

It's a lost art.
          ...and the reason is all the health and safety and PC crud that the jobsworths have layered on. The skills are still there, the intent is still there, it's just that people are handcuffed by idiots.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            ...and the reason is all the health and safety and PC crud that the jobsworths have layered on. The skills are still there, the intent is still there, it's just that people are handcuffed by idiots.
            Very true.

The engineering skills to go back to the moon exist, what we lack is the will to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Did you know that the entire Apollo programme cost $135 billion when taking inflation into account?

That's about the price of;
              - 1 NHS patient registration system (incomplete)
              - 1 national ID card system (incomplete, mercifully)

It's small beer compared to the price of saving banks from their own incompetence, and only enough to keep GM running for a few months or so.

If you want to play that game...

If [UK Public] spending since 1997 had risen no faster than inflation, we would be spending a third less than we do now, and could abolish income tax, VAT, and council tax entirely.
              linky
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Mitch,

It seems incredible now, but I witnessed it, as a lad, in 1969.

It's a lost art.

No wonder so many young people now think it was a hoax!
                I was watching the stuff on telly the other day. It scare me tulipless!!!! To try and do such a thing with that amount of computing etc - insane.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  I was watching the stuff on telly the other day. It scare me tulipless!!!! To try and do such a thing with that amount of computing etc - insane.
                  They did it because they didn't have masses of computing power, in fact they proved they didn't need it!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    They did it because they didn't have masses of computing power, in fact they proved they didn't need it!
                    They had plenty of computing power in the brains of the very talented engineers with their slide rules and drafting tables. Modern computing power just makes the calculations, design, engineering manufacturing and drafting easier. The engineering principles and science are unchanged.

Comment

Working...
                    X