• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

if you don't like your contract, then what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you don't like your contract, then what?

If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do? It's especially hard to move to another one somewhere else if there's a month notice on your side of the deal. Do you just stick it out for 6 months then move on after they refuse to pay you at least £100/day more on renewal?

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do? It's especially hard to move to another one somewhere else if there's a month notice on your side of the deal. Do you just stick it out for 6 months then move on after they refuse to pay you at least £100/day more on renewal?
    What dont you like about it?? Tell us more.

PZz

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
      What dont you like about it?? Tell us more.

PZz
      it doesn't matter what the reasons are, just asking a general question

Comment

it doesn't matter what the reasons are, just asking a general question
        Usually, I try to honor my commitments, most contracts are a pain in the ass one way or another, there is no guarantee that the next one will be any better.

However, you could try: not going in any more, giving less notice and doing a deal with the agent somehow, getting someone else to do your work for the duration of the contract (assuming there is a substitution clause in your contract), speak with the agent and see if they can move you elsewhere.

Probably a load of other things as well.

PZZ

Comment

well another recruiter told me about another contract that pays twice my rate and sounds more interesting plus better location, but due to month's notice on this dull contract then that would count against my application as they need someone NOW

could they, or perhaps more importantly would they chase after someone who just walks out on a contract after being there a month or two? as in many contracts it takes few weeks just to get started

Comment

If you start a 6 month contract then realise after a few weeks you don't like it, what would you do?
            Personally, I try to stick it out. I don't think I have ever walked before the end of the first term. I have left during an extension. Some say that is bad practice; they weren't living my life.

It's especially hard to move to another one somewhere else if there's a month notice on your side of the deal.
            You'd love a no-termination clause!

So contractually, you can scarper in a month. Perfectly legit and legal. This is business, after all. So that is one option. Some would say it's letting down the client, but they're getting an entire month's notice and the others they interviewed are probably still on the bench!

You can get out sooner. Telling the client and agent how unhappy you are (some would suggest inventing a family crisis but I won't) can get you out very quickly.

Do you just stick it out for 6 months then move on after they refuse to pay you at least £100/day more on renewal?
            Nobody can force you to renew. You do not have to give any reasons why you don't want to renew, either.

Is there any benefit to you staying? Are there new skills you could pick up? Can you decide to spend the six months buggering about and learning new skills at your desk in ClientCo time?

Can you see it as an opportunity to earn £x,000 while adding experience to your CV and contacts to your network?

Have you noticed how quiet it is out here, despite there being so many of us on the bench?

Could you talk to someone at the client and say you're not happy? I know it is an odd thing for a contractor to do but there are those of us out there who manage contractors and treat them like people. It may be possible they can change your working hours (Mon lunch to Fri lunch ror Mon to Thur doing long hours), let you work from home, give you more responsibility, get you more involved, make it more challenging. It might be possible to fix the reason.

As a supervisor with many years of staff management experience, I know I can retain an unhappy member of staff by looking concerned and repeatedly tweaking their working conditions for over a year. You've only got to do another five months. It really will not take long to pass, if you spend the time planning what you are going to be doing in five months and one day's time.

Work out the profit you'll make on those six months. Of that, let yourself have 20% to spend on something frivolous as a "end of contract reward". That 20% "motivational bonus" is a damn site more cost effective than being on the bench!

Try and stick it out. You'll be proud of yourself in the future if you do and it will make you stronger too.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

well another recruiter
              professional liar

told me about another contract that pays twice my rate and sounds more interesting plus better location, but due to month's notice on this dull contract then that would count against my application as they need someone NOW
              You are considering going into breach of contract with all the pain that might entail just to earn the agent some commission?

Do. Not. Do. It.

Beware: the grass is always greener...
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

thanks
                yes I will stick it out, it's not as bad as it sounds, just wondering what the possibilities were in case I find myself in a real stinker in future. But by then I'll have much more £££ behind me and will be a grumpy old man so won't care as much about commitment etc.

Comment

Bring in the substitution clause and take on the new contract whilst taking a percentage of your subs rate
                  A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    professional liar

You are considering going into breach of contract with all the pain that might entail just to earn the agent some commission?

Do. Not. Do. It.

Beware: the grass is always greener...
                    WHS +1000000

Only leave if it is a MUCH MUCH better contract than the one you are on. For instance if it is going to get you through the next year and the current contract is for a month. Otherwise it probably best to count your blessings and keep your head down and pimp the CV with new skills and glowing references
                    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X