PDA

View Full Version : Car Advice

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 07:06
Got a 12 month extension in the offing. It is going to take me through the long winter months. I will have to comute early in the morning and go home in the dark.

So the Bike is a no go, and I will need a car.

What is the best thing to consider

1: A banger (circa £1500 diesel)
2: A mid-range 2nd hand sell on (circa £4K-5K)
3: A reasonable rep-mobile (£10K Audi A6)

Advice appreciated........

DimPrawn
30th June 2009, 07:45
Buy a nearly new Porsche and stop messing about.

pzz76077
30th June 2009, 07:55
Are you considering total costs over x months??

A banger may need less initial investment, but if it goes wrong and needs another 1500 spent on it, MOT etc, time lost from your contract etc, then is not cheaper.

What about petrol consumption??

Would you only use it for work related travel, or something else at the weekend??

Many hire companies do long term car hire for not much more than the cost of a second hand car over a period of months.

Of course there is your tax position to think about also.

PZZ

Shimano105
30th June 2009, 07:56
option 1 is the one you know you want, Gwaaan gwaan.

'Cheap' fuel nowadays as well.

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 08:04
option 1 is the one you know you want, Gwaaan gwaan.

'Cheap' fuel nowadays as well.

Troo Dat! I want to spend nothing. However I want to hear from my esteemed CUK buddies on their thoughts/experiences.

Come on hit me with the juice. Gimme the good stuff.

Pogle
30th June 2009, 08:23
When I knew I was going to be doing lots of driving I bought a Mazda RX8.
I wanted a comfortable car that went fast, had air con, sat nav and a decent stereo - also I love the shape :emb

I've had it 3 years now and still love it, it is a joy to drive and it growls brilliantly.

However it is not remotely economical, but it is shiny ...so very very shiny ... and red....and shiny......... <dribble>

:D

Peoplesoft bloke
30th June 2009, 08:39
Banger - get a petrol one though - extra purchase price of diesel car isn't worth it at banger level

Menelaus
30th June 2009, 08:41
Prius?

Amiga500
30th June 2009, 08:44
When I knew I was going to be doing lots of driving I bought a Mazda RX8.

You are Harold Steptoe and I claim my 'as good as new' rusty bicycle frame.

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 08:44
Prius?

My understanding was that these are the most environmentally un-friendly cars due to the level of Nickel/Cadmium in the batteries.

Menelaus
30th June 2009, 08:46
You are Harold Steptoe and I claim my 'as good as new' rusty bicycle frame.

- 'Arold!

- You dirty ol' man ...

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 09:52
- 'Arold!

- You dirty ol' man ...

That's uncanny, it was like they were in the room :D

pzz76077
30th June 2009, 10:41
Troo Dat! I want to spend nothing. However I want to hear from my esteemed CUK buddies on their thoughts/experiences.

Come on hit me with the juice. Gimme the good stuff.

I would of thought that long term hire was what you are looking for then. The costs should be 100% claimable against taxes. And you will have a brand new shiny car of your choice on your driveway.

PZZ

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 10:43
I would of thought that long term hire was what you are looking for then. The costs should be 100% claimable against taxes. And you will have a brand new shiny car of your choice on your driveway.

PZZ

Thanks PZZ.

Just for my info

Roughly how much would it cost to hire a car for 6 months????

pzz76077
30th June 2009, 10:52
Thanks PZZ.

Just for my info

Roughly how much would it cost to hire a car for 6 months????

From £9 a day here: http://www.apexrental.co.uk/long_term_rental/cars/ But would suggest you shop around for a better deal. Most include, maintenance insurance, tax etc that you would normally have to shell out for separately on your own car. If anything goes wrong they will bring you another one.

PZZ

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 10:53
From £9 a day here: http://www.apexrental.co.uk/long_term_rental/cars/ But would suggest you shop around for a better deal. Most include, maintenance insurance, tax etc that you would normally have to shell out for separately on your own car. If anything goes wrong they will bring you another one.

PZZ

I will look into that nearer the time.

Thanks

pzz76077
30th June 2009, 10:55
I will look into that nearer the time.

Thanks

I forgot to mention that some cos also give you a fuel card so you can hide the cost of petrol inside the rental package.

PZZ

Wilmslow
30th June 2009, 10:57
Get a cheap Focus from Malta.

HTH

BlackenedBiker
30th June 2009, 10:59
Get a cheap Focus from Malta.

HTH

Explain Please????