• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID cards will not be compulsory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID cards will not be compulsory

Telegraph

Alan Johnson, the Home Secretary, has announced the death of compulsory ID cards in a significant Government climbdown over the controversial scheme.

He said the cards will now only be issued to Britons on a voluntary basis meaning no one will ever be forced to have one, effectively paving the way for the scheme to be scrapped altogether.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Id like 2 cards both with completely different information on it.

PZZ

Comment

Love the photo on that article.

It seems as though he is wondering to himself...

"Hmmm... what can I do to fek them over next?"

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

This is bad news for contractors.

Whatever you may think about the rights and the (many) wrongs of ID cards, the simple fact is that an enormous amount of contract work (direct or indirect) has now been shelved. This means:

* More contractors on the bench

* Longer time on the bench

* Lower rates

I know there are a few principled, moral high-horse types on this board these days, but when push comes to shove contracting comes first.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

..... Yet !!

Comment

I call bulltulip on this!

There is no way they're going to drop ID cards. All the government stooge is doing is making some noises that journos are interpreting as saying they're going to drop ID cards, which they won't.

They're keeping them for all that already have them, and you can still apply for one if you need it. Just watch as they increase the places where you 'need it'

So don't y'all worry, the ID card gravy train will still be arriving.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post

There is no way they're going to drop ID cards. All the government stooge is doing is making some noises that journos are interpreting as saying they're going to drop ID cards, which they won't.

They're keeping them for all that already have them, and you can still apply for one if you need it. Just watch as they increase the places where you 'need it'

Personally, I believe that a Tory HMG will scrap them alongside HIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                I know there are a few principled, moral high-horse types on this board these days, but when push comes to shove contracting comes first.
                Oh come on, where do you draw the line, would you work on Iran's internet firewall?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post

Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by leeperry View Post
                    Oh come on, where do you draw the line, would you work on Iran's internet firewall?
                    Yep, though I'd stop short at blocking CUK.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X