• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news: "There is no UK pension crisis"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news: "There is no UK pension crisis"

Despite all the warnings there is no pensions crisis,a new report claims. In brief:
    Think tank Tomorrow's Company says rises in productivity will enable the ageing population to sustain itself.

It also points out that the economy could be hurt if everyone started saving more instead of spending.
    So, no problem then. Spend, spend, spend and retire to a life of luxury!

Spend or save aren't the only two options...there is a happy medium called paying off your debts!

The problem is, people haven't been "spending" they've been "borrowing"!

Comment

>rises in productivity will enable the ageing population to sustain itself

And how the **** do they intend to achieve that?

My guess is they're hoping Bird Flu will wipe out all the pensioners. End of pensions crisis. Brilliant.
      I reckon I could be PM.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
        Spend or save aren't the only two options...there is a happy medium called paying off your debts!
        True, but essentially, paying off debts has the same effect as saving - you are improving your wealth.

Comment

Well I'll be laughing. I've been paying 24% of my wages into a thing called "national insurance" which is designed to look after me in my dotage. So nerr.

Comment

Think tank Tomorrow's Company says rises in productivity will enable the ageing population to sustain itself.
            B*ll*cks.

The current, lower level of aged population are having enough trouble supporting themselves now, let alone the big increases in numbers expected in a few years.

As for their "rises in productivity" - economic growth is going down, despite personal and national debt going up in a spending binge to try and sustain it.

I don't know who this think tank are, but it sounds like New Labour wishful thinking to me.

Comment

Don't worry. All we need to do is raise taxes and introduce some new laws. Sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Don't worry. All we need to do is raise taxes and introduce some new laws. Sorted.
                Phew, thanks Lucifer.

It's comforting to know that the government have it in hand, steering a steady course and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  Phew, thanks Lucifer.

It's comforting to know that the government have it in hand, steering a steady course and all that.
                  As long as we make sure Britain's hard-working families get plenty of handouts, all should be well. Do you think I could be a politician?

Comment

Working...
                  X