• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has Google changed its appearance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Google changed its appearance?

Is it me, or has Google changed its appearance?

The search results does not look the same.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

humm you may have acquired one of those nice friendly browser add-ons which automatically screws around with your searches.

Google results looks the same as ever to me.

Comment

I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it a new hairstyle or has it grown a beard?
      King of Chutney.

Bring back Chetty - Lord of all things Chet!

Comment

No change, so either as Platypus said some add on or that virus that makes it look like you are on google but are not really so they can earn click revenue from google

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          Is it me, or has Google changed its appearance?

The search results does not look the same.
          Yes they have changed, I can't put my finger on it either, something in the top left-hand corner.

I'll go and look at an archived version at http://web.archive.org when I can be bothered - maybe you can check there before I do.
          You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Silly me. I have a search result still open from weeks ago in another tab.

Everyone except MrToast is blind.
            • The coloured Google logo next to the box where you enter the search term is smaller.
            • There is a much larger left margin.
            • The results are indented just slightly from the "Web Show options..." line.
            • The addresses are sometimes preceded by http://
            • After "Cached - Similar - " there was a speec bubble logo, now there is an up-arrow and a cross logo too. They were next to the www.xxx bit.
            • The bottom margin has gone down by a few pixels.
            • The "6 posts - 6 authors" entries have disappeared.

So there are cosmetic and functional diferences.

Before:

<snip> - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
            9 posts - 7 authors
            Can anyone tell me anything about <snip> ? For instance, as a Contractor I can sign up and put my personal details online, including.
            <snip> - Cached - Similar -
            After:

<snip> - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
            Can anyone tell me anything about <snip> ? For instance, as a Contractor I can sign up and put my personal details online, including.
            <snip>
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Note that it also changes if you're logged in with a Google account. Also, they sometimes test out potential new features, or tweaks to existing ones, by shoving them out to, say, a few hundred thousand random visitors per second for a few minutes and watching their behaviour (anonymously - lines on a graph, not lists of names).

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Note that it also changes if you're logged in with a Google account. Also, they sometimes test out potential new features, or tweaks to existing ones, by shoving them out to, say, a few hundred thousand random visitors per second for a few minutes and watching their behaviour (anonymously - lines on a graph, not lists of names).

Comment

Working...
                X