• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

East Coast rail to be state-run

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Coast rail to be state-run

BBC

Ministers have refused National Express's requests for its contract with the government to be renegotiated.

The Department for Transport said that all East Coast services would continue and that tickets would be honoured.
    So presumably they considered not honouring tickets? Ye Gods...

BBC business editor Robert Peston said that National Express had tried to buy itself out of the franchise with an offer of "well over £100m".
    However, Transport Secretary Lord Adonis decided to reject the approach "on principle".
    What was that bit about Greeks bearing gifts?
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

I wonder if they'll repaint the livery and re-brand everything again.

The staff are still the same as they were in GNER days, and I assume it'll be another case of "same company different name".

BAU.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

The staff are still the same as they were in GNER days, and I assume it'll be another case of "same company different name".

BAU.
      foreiGNER
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We should let the French (or Spanish or Germans) run these rail lines. They're obviously so much better at it...
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Actually not the same company:

Existing operational staff would transfer to a new state company which has been set up to operate the route.
          The next question will be whether the employees get taken on with changed contract terms, pensions etc., or even have to apply for their own jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            We should let the French (or Spanish or Germans) run these rail lines. They're obviously so much better at it...
            Deutsche Bahn certainly: Italian Railways are also pretty good, as are (I'm ashamed to admit) SNCF and the Russian railways system (ffs, ...if they can run the trans-siberian...)

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              BBC

Quote:
              Ministers have refused National Express's requests for its contract with the government to be renegotiated.

The Department for Transport said that all East Coast services would continue and that tickets would be honoured.

So presumably they considered not honouring tickets? Ye Gods...
              I do think you are pushing this. Technically if National Express sold you a ticket then it is they who have a responsibility to you.

It is hard to see that it is wrong of the DOT to state promptly that they will honour National Express's tickets, by that "logic" you could condemn anything anyone said on the grounds that it shows that they considered the opposite.

Personally I can state that I am not going to beat my wife tonight. Do you leap to the conclusion that I must have considered doing so?

Actually as a taxpayer I might argue that the DOT is being over-generous in taking over National Express's liabilities. It is certainly normal in the private sector for a company that takes over a failure's good bits not to take on all its liabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                Deutsche Bahn certainly: Italian Railways are also pretty good, as are (I'm ashamed to admit) SNCF and the Russian railways system (ffs, ...if they can run the trans-siberian...)
                All three are excellent, but have their weaknesses. DB are outstanding, but had a big accident with the ICE high speed trains after managermen chose a plenty cheapness solution to the problem of vibrations at high speed (I hope they've returned to having only engineers in charge); a two piece rubber and metal wheel, which disintegrated exactly as the engineers warned it would. SNCF have the problem of strikes, and Trenitalia went bust a few times, but on the whole the Italian intercity services are reasonably priced, comfortable, fast and punctual.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  I do think you are pushing this. Technically if National Express sold you a ticket then it is they who have a responsibility to you.

It is hard to see that it is wrong of the DOT to state promptly that they will honour National Express's tickets, by that "logic" you could condemn anything anyone said on the grounds that it shows that they considered the opposite.
                  OK, I accept that my cynicism got the better of me. On reflection, NE have announced that they are going to default on their payments at some undetermined time in the future, so the DoT's statement is valid.

Comment

It will not be state run. The franchise will be sold to another bidder. Nationalisation does not work.

Comment

Working...
                    X