• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Agency is playing a 28 day rules on me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Agency is playing a 28 day rules on me

HI My Agency is saying now that when I complete my timesheet at the end of the month I have to wait a further 28 days for them to pay me. Is this normal? As I would be out of pocket for almost 8 weeks from the start of the month. They are claiming this is a cushion for them in case the company I am working for becomes Insolvent and they don't get paid until that date after invoicing the customer.

Has anyone else came across this issue

What are the payment terms in your contract?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Did you opt out of the conduct of employment agency regs?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWay789 View Post
        HI My Agency is saying now that when I complete my timesheet at the end of the month I have to wait a further 28 days for them to pay me. Is this normal? As I would be out of pocket for almost 8 weeks from the start of the month. They are claiming this is a cushion for them in case the company I am working for becomes Insolvent and they don't get paid until that date after invoicing the customer.

Has anyone else came across this issue
        So where's your cushion should the agency go bust?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Me too.

Not too concerened with the payment period - war chest is OK at the moment.
          King of Chutney.

Bring back Chetty - Lord of all things Chet!

Comment

Tell the agency to factor the debt from the company (sell it on at a discount for payment upfront). Then they will get paid upfront and can pay you. They should be doing that anyway if they have any doubts about the companies ability to pay.
            Last edited by Nexxy; 1 July 2009, 14:49.

Comment

one of the roles of an agency is to stand the cost so you do not have to wait 30/60/90 days until they get paid.

but 28 days is becoming more common.

just budget for it

Comment

Unless you are working for a micky mouse client, agency is more likely to go bust than client.

10 years ago, when i was a newbie at contracting used to accept 30 day delay in payment from invoiceing but learned the hard way how foolish this is, because..you guessed it...agency went bust leaving me out of pocket in a BIG way (some 60 days worth of work for nothing)

Since then never accepted more than 7 days exposure from invoice date (aka 37 days from first worked date if invoicing monthly) and never will again.

And if they are more than a few days late i tell client not been paid and down tools, funny how fast payment comes then (and neither time that this has happened has client been pissed at me, always at agency)

So unless your signed contract allows them to do this, don't accept it (They are not going to terminate your contract as that would piss off the client).

If you did sign a contract with these terms, then you will have to live with it and learn the lesson for next time to not accept contracts with these types of terms, even if the agent says they normally pay much quicker
                Last edited by Not So Wise; 1 July 2009, 16:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                  Unless you are working for a micky mouse client, agency is more likely to go bust than client.

10 years ago, when i was a newbie at contracting used to accept 30 day delay in payment from invoiceing but learned the hard way how foolish this is, because..you guessed it...agency went bust leaving me out of pocket in a BIG way (some 60 days worth of work for nothing)

Since then never accepted more than 7 days exposure from invoice date (aka 37 days from first worked date if invoicing monthly) and never will again.

And if they are more than a few days late i tell client not been paid and down tools, funny how fast payment comes then (and neither time that this has happened has client been pissed at me, always at agency)

So unless your signed contract allows them to do this, don't accept it (They are not going to terminate your contract as that would piss off the client).

If you did sign a contract with these terms, then you will have to live with it and learn the lesson for next time to not accept contracts with these types of terms, even if the agent says they normally pay much quicker
                  WHS.

I was getting ****ed about by a mickey-mouse agent on a large government gig and I'd indicated to them what the payment terms were which they'd agreed to and then rescinded on.

When the cash ran out I explained to the people I was working with that I was in dispute with the agent and as a consequence wasn't able to come in to work.

Public sector client got on the phone to the agent and tore them a new one. Got paid same day and then back to work the next day with agreed-to terms from that moment on.

Menelaus 1 - 0 Pimp

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    ... mickey-mouse agent on a large government gig ...

Menelaus 1 - 0 Pimp
                    For me it was a pretty big agency on a government agency gig.

Payment got held up for weeks, I complained to the manager at the client and he said:

"I'm not interested. We use agents specifically so we don't have to deal with your problems."

Every payment was a week or so later than contractually agreed after that.

Numpty 0 - Pimp 1 - Client 1
                    If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X