• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy to Leave Empty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to Leave Empty

Anyone else thought of having a pad close to where most of your work is likely to be?

Most work these days seems to be in the midlands so I was thinking of a pad in the middle of the country would allow me to commute to most places (including London) and the family could stay during the school hols.

Ideally I would move permenantly, but family ties mean I can't for a good few years, however the mortgage is paid off.

So I was thinking of targetting some of those 2 bed flats that people are desperate to shift, however I wouldn't want to rent it out as I'd need it at the drop of a hat.

Money saved on hotels would go towards it, and it could be a capital investment cos as we know property never goes down etc..

You'll have to factor in full council tax, gas, leccy, water, TV licence, insurance (often expensive if the property is left empty for long periods), maintenance.

Are you sure a Premier Inn is not cheaper than a bedsit in Brum?

Comment

No I'm not sure, hence the question.

But I was thinking somewhere pleasant (i.e. not Brum) rather than AtW's bedroom

Somewhere that, at a push, could double as a holiday let perhaps? I dunno, maybe I am talking bollox.

Comment

Solihull s'nice.

Comment

In my experience wherever I live it's always 90mins plus to my temp place of business...

Perhaps I'm less picky about where I contract?

T

Comment

Milton Keynes is midway between london and brum.

Lovely for holidays.

Comment

There are lots of nice villages around Leicestershire area that have good transport links to London.

Anywhere here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client...,0.445976&z=12 is nice.

Comment

Quite, I could open a tea shop in MK perhaps as well.

Sockpuppet: that was my thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                  In my experience wherever I live it's always 90mins plus to my temp place of business...

Perhaps I'm less picky about where I contract?

T
                  more diligent & creative in generating "expenses"

Comment

Buy and rent out 'till you need rather than leave empty.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X