PDA

View Full Version : Google drop down list

Pondlife
2nd July 2009, 13:48
When you type into the google seach field it starts to display possible seach entries. WTF is it basing the suggestions on?

Type the letter 'u' and the suggestions include 'ugg boots' and 'ultimate guitar'. Neither of which can possibly be in the top 10 most popular searches starting with a 'u', nor are they things I have ever searched for.

:confused:

Clippy
2nd July 2009, 13:49
When you type into the google seach field it starts to display possible seach entries. WTF is it basing the suggestions on?

Type the letter 'u' and the suggestions include 'ugg boots' and 'ultimate guitar'. Neither of which can possibly be in the top 10 most popular searches starting with a 'u', nor are they things I have ever searched for.

:confused:

Perhaps they are getting paid for these entries to appear first?

Edit: When I type in 'u' I get 'utube', 'ucas', 'utorrent' so perhaps the above theory is pants - in answer to your question, dunno!

Menelaus
Paid advertising

HTH

DimPrawn
Sadly it is wot the yoof of today is searchin for, innit?

Pondlife
2nd July 2009, 13:53
Paid advertising

HTH

I'm not talking about the search results but the dropdown suggested searches. They don't look like paid for entries.

Beefy198
2nd July 2009, 14:21
I'd expect it's based on what is most usually search... best keywords and all that.

Must have a built in content filter though.... try doing some naughty keywords :nerd

malvolio
2nd July 2009, 14:26
I'm not talking about the search results but the dropdown suggested searches. They don't look like paid for entries.
It's configurable. Look at the Google Preferences - it's the last option.

Pondlife
2nd July 2009, 14:29
It's configurable. Look at the Google Preferences - it's the last option.

I'm not bothered about them appearing, just slightly amused by their complete randomness.

dang65
2nd July 2009, 15:35
I'm not bothered about them appearing, just slightly amused by their complete randomness.
I suppose it's a quick way of finding out what's cool. Although typing 'a' brings up argos, amazon, autotrader, asda. Common rather than cool, perhaps.