• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Man duties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Man duties

I've been tasked with being Best Man to my best mate next week at his wedding in Cyprus.

I've cobbled together a few bits and pieces with regards to the speech but I'm a little lost as to the etiquette of it all. Anyone here done the duty and could advise me a little?

Who do I thank, Who do I say looks nice etc etc? I'm really loathed to use "speech sites" so personal experience would be great

TIA
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Originally posted by tino View Post
    I've been tasked with being Best Man to my best mate next week at his wedding in Cyprus.

I've cobbled together a few bits and pieces with regards to the speech but I'm a little lost as to the etiquette of it all. Anyone here done the duty and could advise me a little?

Who do I thank, Who do I say looks nice etc etc? I'm really loathed to use "speech sites" so personal experience would be great

TIA
    At my second (and last - **** that, not doing that again) wedding I stood up and:

1. Thanked the caterers (we'd had an awful time getting the place sorted)
    2. Thanked my new wife (and explained to the assembleds that I had married way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaay above myself)
    3. Thanked the bridesmaids

HTH

Comment

TIA
      Etiquette is:
      Be Brief.
      Be Funny (but don't try too hard)
      Be Slighty Risque
      Thank Everyone
      Say everyone looks nice
      Be Brief

Quite simple.......

PS - If you actually ARE funny then you can go for broke but if you only THINK you are funny (like most of us) set up a couple of Obvious Punchlines and leave it at that

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Etiquette is:
        Be Brief.
        Be Funny (but don't try too hard)
        Be Slighty Risque
        Thank Everyone
        Say everyone looks nice
        Be Brief

Quite simple.......

PS - If you actually ARE funny then you can go for broke but if you only THINK you are funny (like most of us) set up a couple of Obvious Punchlines and leave it at that
        I'm staying away from a full blown stand up routine, and also awful regurgitated jokes (hopefuly). I plan on serving up some wittertainment for the masses (all 17 of them)

HTH

Comment

Keep it clean, remember there are children present. Be witty and charming. Then get ratted and **** the bridesmaid(s).

Job done

Comment

I'm staying away from a full blown stand up routine, and also awful regurgitated jokes (hopefuly). I plan on serving up some wittertainment for the masses (all 17 of them)
            I think you will find that "awful regurgitated jokes" are de rigeur - thats your Job Man!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              I think you will find that "awful regurgitated jokes" are de rigeur - thats your Job Man!!!!
              Mine are better not really

HTH

Comment

You do know that you will be legally required to impregnate the chief bridesmaid?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Keep it brief. Nothing worse than a long boring speech.

Keep it clean, cringeworthy stories about hookers and stds have no place.

Thank all the birds.

Take the piss out of a well known character trait of the bloke. Ie: to organised, too messy, tulip drunk - maybe chuck in a story about one of these things.

Finish off with how much of a good bloke he is and how pleased you are for him and his missus. Can't go wrong.

Comment

I cheated, scored loads of pictures of the couple back to babies and weaved a fictional, p*ss taking but believable web of untruths telling their story around the pictures.
                    From the first picture I was astonished to find the whole room laughing their heads off, I absolutely loved it and the congratulations after.
                    On the downside I had barely slept for weeks beforehand working on the script in my head and wondering if it would be met with silence, I have never been more terrified than in the hours leading up to it and I guess the relief added to the euphoria.
                    Good news - They are a friendly crowd and will give you plenty of support if you can be even a bit funny.
                    Bad news - You are the entertainment and it's a very mixed crowd, anyone can do a speech their mates will laugh at, but will the brides mum love it too ?

Comment

Working...
                    X