• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding fines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding fines

Anybody know how to wrangle out of them?

Either me or my wife (using one car last week) have been caught ripping up the roads doing 40 in a 30 on a local dual carriageway. Wife has already got 6points - all 40mph on a 30mph road.

Although if travelling in the opposite direction of the same road the speed limit is 40 mph - and 30 mph in the direction with the speed camera - which confuses the hell out of you anyhow.

Am totally pee'd off with being "fined", "taxed", "robbed", call it what you will, more and more by this tuliphole government and made feel like a bloody criminal.

So has anybody here tried to wrangle out of them?

Write "**** off!" all over the NIP and post it back.

Worked for me.

I got 3 months instead.

HTH

Comment

If you cant do the time dont do the crime.

You should consider slowing down.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
        Although if travelling in the opposite direction of the same road the speed limit is 40 mph - and 30 mph in the direction with the speed camera - which confuses the hell out of you anyhow.
        Hardly confusing, see those big numbers in a round red circle? They'll tell you how fast you should be going as a maximum.

And before you bleat and complain, I've been caught by them too before. I knew that I was breaking the speed limit when I saw the van, so c'est la vie.

Comment

Should also probably remind you that all roads are 30mph unless otherwise signposted. So if you see street lighting and aren't sure, best do 30 to be on the safe side if you don't want a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            If you cant do the time dont do the crime.

You should consider slowing down.
            Hardly dangerously fast though - and the same road is 40 if travelling in the opposite diection. There is no difference in each side. And it was 40 until about 12 months ago when they just decided to change it to 30 - on one side (????)

Comment

made feel like a bloody criminal.
              <HTT>
              How appropriate, seeing as it's against the law...
              </HTT>

Pretty much no way out of it these days unless you want to pay a lawyer to have a go at getting you off.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Hardly dangerously fast though - and the same road is 40 if travelling in the opposite diection. There is no difference in each side. And it was 40 until about 12 months ago when they just decided to change it to 30 - on one side (????)
                I am no lover of speed cameras and ever decreasing speed limits, but if you choose to speed then accept the results.
                If you didnt know you were speeding then kindly hand in your driving licence to the nearest police station and explain why you are unfit to drive.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Pay a skint student to take the rap for you.

HTH
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

In that case, you take the fine (you seem to acknowledge you knew you were breaking the speed limit) and ask the council or whoever will listen why the speed limit is reduced on one side.

It's not unreasonable for a dual carriageway to have two separate limits for each flow of traffic - to all intents and purposes they are two separate slabs of road. Look around and try and work out why the limit is less. Junctions? Pavement? Housing?

Comment

Working...
                    X