• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract signed but not started

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract signed but not started

I signed a contract with a certain agency to start work on 24th June. They however have told me that I cannot start yet.

Are they legally obliged to pay my invoice even though I have not physically gone into work as yet - their problem, not mine.

I have not been told the contract has been cancelled.

Originally posted by mocha_01 View Post
    I signed a contract with a certain agency to start work on 24th June. They however have told me that I cannot start yet.

Are they legally obliged to pay my invoice even though I have not physically gone into work as yet - their problem, not mine.

I have not been told the contract has been cancelled.

Most contracts demand a signed timesheet without one can't see anyone paying you.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
      Most contracts demand a signed timesheet without one can't see anyone paying you.

But it is there problem. Not mine. If I can't go in I cannot get a timesheet signed. It also meant I stopped searching for other work as I had signed a contract It would be reasonable that I would expect to start on the date indicated in the contract.

Comment

Unless properly opted out signed timesheets are immaterial, but that said, while in theory they should have to pay you, without specific clauses in your contract to cover this scenario (and doubt they are there) your chances of actually getting that money, even if you went to court, are less than nil.

Good rule to follow, don't stop looking for other contracts until 3 days (at the earliest) after new job actually starts

Comment

But it is there problem. Not mine. If I can't go in I cannot get a timesheet signed. It also meant I stopped searching for other work as I had signed a contract It would be reasonable that I would expect to start on the date indicated in the contract.
          You have the problem, not them. You may have been suckered, and no, you won't get paid for not working.

Call up agent and demand to see the purchase order. For the project to be valid there MUST be a PO from the client to the agency.

No PO = no project and the agency is keeping you hanging on, just in case it materialises. You should also call the client direct and ask them something like is this role approved and budgeted

My advice is to start searching for another role. In fact you should never have stopped until your boots were under the clients desk

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            You have the problem, not them. You may have been suckered, and no, you won't get paid for not working.

Call up agent and demand to see the purchase order. For the project to be valid there MUST be a PO from the client to the agency.

No PO = no project and the agency is keeping you hanging on, just in case it materialises. You should also call the client direct and ask them something like is this role approved and budgeted

My advice is to start searching for another role. In fact you should never have stopped until your boots were under the clients desk
            I had already received documentation from the company concerned and signed confidentiality agreements, etc. so I know the job was real.

bunch of a***holes.

Comment

I had already received documentation from the company concerned and signed confidentiality agreements, etc. so I know the job was real.

bunch of a***holes.
              Of course the job was real - in the mind of the PM who interviewed you. He has sent you all the docs and info ready for a quick start.......

BUT PM's sometimes get beyond themselves and assume their brilliant idea of a project will get the go ahead (and budget approval).

Why not call him and ask tomorrow. And don't forget about requesting a copy of that PO from the agent. Remember, it is in the interest of the agent to keep you hanging on as long as there is the faintest chance of this gig happening.

As a new contractor I went through the same tripe and regularly hear about the same thing happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                Of course the job was real - in the mind of the PM who interviewed you. He has sent you all the docs and info ready for a quick start.......

BUT PM's sometimes get beyond themselves and assume their brilliant idea of a project will get the go ahead (and budget approval).

Why not call him and ask tomorrow. And don't forget about requesting a copy of that PO from the agent. Remember, it is in the interest of the agent to keep you hanging on as long as there is the faintest chance of this gig happening.

As a new contractor I went through the same tripe and regularly hear about the same thing happening.
                ...just a small point, but if the project is the "PM's brilliant idea", then they are doing it wrong and it is a company best avoided.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I always knew agents were slightly short of being considered amoebas, but this is probably the worst I have ever been treated by one.

I started looking again the day I was told it would be put off for a day or so.

Once I have another job I will name and shame them.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                    ...just a small point, but if the project is the "PM's brilliant idea", then they are doing it wrong and it is a company best avoided.
                    You might be right there.

However, there are also a lot of under-employed PM's out there, desperate to be seen to be doing things in order to avoid the chop. He's probably hung out the last 3 months conducting various studies, requirements analysis, cost justification etc for this supurflous project. Probably even believes in it himself now

Comment

Working...
                    X