• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting without an agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting without an agency

I've been contracting for a few years now, but entierly through agencies. However, I've now been offered a contract directly with a client, and am wondering what differences there will be apart from a little extra cash?

Is there any form of additional insurance that I'll need? That say agencies provide by default?

I'm a PCG member, so I'm going to look at their template contracts, as the client wants me to provide all the paperwork.

Any tips from more experienced contractors?

-- Amos --

Direct to client is great, I have done a little bit in my time - personally I would avoid a contract (this would work in your favour from a ir35 point of view) but get a signed purchase order.

Comment

Originally posted by weemster View Post
      Direct to client is great, I have done a little bit in my time - personally I would avoid a contract (this would work in your favour from a ir35 point of view) but get a signed purchase order.
      Definately do not avoid a contract!

A proper contract is good for IR35, and not having a contract leaves you wide open to all sorts of nasties!
      The PCG one would be a good one.

The only other thing to be aware of is that in dealing direct it is you that will have to chase up the AP department of clientco when they don't pay an invoice, and that this will happen.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

What sort of nasties ?

Comment

Non-payment, them claiming work wasn't done as agreed etc. etc.

Comment

PCG is a good place to start. Or since you've used agencies lots before, you could model your contract on some of them (if you cut out the sillier clauses you'll find it gets quite short).

There are many fewer "nasties" direct than with agencies; payment can be slow but anything longer than 3 months is rare.

Comment

Agree with all points. I had a good experience with working direct (with an active incentive to make sure things were done right and on time i.e I got royalties on future sales of the software - I suppose looking at it it was more of a joint venture with them paying me and them claiming R&D costs) sure it was a bit of a punt at the start and my accountant advised not to be to hung up on the contract. Everyone and their situation is different but it worked well that way for me

Another thing I would say is I did a little bit of free work for this client before he asked me to join in the venture. I suppose I am saying being a little blase pays dividends......sometimes.
              Last edited by weemster; 2 July 2009, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                The only other thing to be aware of is that in dealing direct it is you that will have to chase up the AP department of clientco when they don't pay an invoice, and that this will happen.
                If you have a late payment clause in your contract and you mention the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 and European Directive 2000/32/EC you tend to find that payment materialises on time
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by weemster View Post
                  What sort of nasties ?
                  apart from what is already mentioned...

how to terminate / notice period
                  who owns the intellectual property, copyrights
                  right to subcontract
                  who pays for which expenses
                  liability for claims or penalties for non-delivery or late delivery
                  payment terms

etc
                  etc
                  etc
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Contracts shouldn't all be one way. A professional contract is a reflection on you. Include all the areas that a normal contract would. In addition to what's been said:

Data Protection
                    Confidentiality

I'm assuming that contract will be provision of you through myCo to clientCo. Include non poaching clauses, particularly you onto their payroll. If later on they insist you go permie you will have some bargaining power.

Direct is great if you can get it. As one of the earlier posts said, you will need to chase payment every week/month. Create a good relationship with the accounts payable function - its a lunch well invested.

Good luck
                    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                    X