• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy-To-Let Boom!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy-To-Let Boom!

http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...-hotspots.html

Simples:

1. Glasgow

Average Yield: 12 per cent.

Typical property: A one bedroom first floor flat in Rutherglen, Glasgow. Price: £32,000. Monthly Rental: £350.

2. Houghton Le Spring, Tyne and Wear

Average Yield: 10 per cent

Typical property. A two bedroom terraced house five minutes walk from the town centre. Price: £46,500. Monthly Rental: £400.

3. Telford, Shropshire

Average Yield: 10 per cent

Typical property: A one bedroom first floor apartment flat Price: £59,950. Monthly Rental: £500

4. London Borough of Lewisham

Average Yield: 8 per cent

Typical property: A one bedroom first floor flat in Lee. Price: £95,000. Monthly Rental: £675

5. MIddleton, Manchester

Typical Property: A two bedroom middle terraced house in a suburb of Manchester. Price: £64,950. Monthly Rental: £450

6. Barnsley, South Yorkshire

Typical Property: A three bedroom semi-detached house in the Darton district of Barnsley. Price: £65,000. Monthly Rental: £450

7. London Borough of Newham

Average yield: 8 per cent

Typical Property: A one bedroom flat in East Ham. Price: £104,500. Monthly rental: £700.

8. Burnley, Lancashire

Average Yield: 7 per cent

Typical Property: A three bedroom terraced house in the east Lancashire town of Burnley. Price: £79,500. Monthly Rental: £525

9. Neath, Wales

Typical Property: A two bedroom semi-detached house in the Neath Abbey part of the town. Price: £69,950. Monthly Rental: £450

10. Newcastle upon Tyne:

Typical Property: A three bedroom semi-detached house in the Throckley district. Price: £69,950. Monthly Rental: £450

DP - not wishing to sound unkind, but have you ever been to Rutherglen

Also: I live about half-a-mile from Newham (on the posh side of the river, natch ) and it's like Gaza. Not recommended!

Comment

What do you think the occupants of Rutherglen might have a problem paying the rent?

I never considered that a place with property priced at £32K and £350 rents might be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Also: I live about half-a-mile from Newham (on the posh side of the river, natch ) and it's like Gaza. Not recommended!
        I'm not sure that the Gaza comparison is accurate because that is relatively peaceful - when I lived in Newham me and the flatmate used to refer to it as "Beirut".

Not sure that that really matters though, it's just business. You don't live in your own BTL.

Comment

Knowing at least one of those areas I can tell you that the 'typical' price quoted is at least £30k less than what they are being advertised at.

More wishful thinking than actual fact.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            What do you think the occupants of Rutherglen might have a problem paying the rent?

I never considered that a place with property priced at £32K and £350 rents might be a problem.

You would just have to give them a mini gun and a few grenades before they moved in. First time I have ever heard Rutherglen being called a hotspot.

Comment

Quick analysis on 1 random example:

7. London Borough of Newham

Average yield: 8 per cent

Typical Property: A one bedroom flat in East Ham. Price: £104,500. Monthly rental: £700.

Gross rental: 8400
              But assume 1 month void per year = 7700
              Less 15% to agent = 6545
              Less insurance (say 300) = 6245
              Less Ground rent + service charges + repairs (say 1200) = 5045
              Less BTL mortgage interest (assume 6% on purchase price for simplicity = 6000) = -955
              Less tenent bargains reduced rent to 650/month = -1955
              Less legal costs, permits etc (100) = -2055

Landlord profit = -2055

Time and hassle factors are not included here, but are also significant.

Then factor in 10% of tenents who fall behind, or simply do not pay rent and take 6 months to evict at great cost and then it is obvious that the BTL landlord is subsidising the tenent.

Why bother when the likes of BP and FPCT are yielding 8% with potential capital gains on top - all with no hassel

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...-hotspots.html

Simples:

1. Glasgow

Average Yield: 12 per cent.

Typical property: A one bedroom first floor flat in Rutherglen, Glasgow. Price: £32,000. Monthly Rental: £350.
                I've been trying to tell you...

My Glasgow flat is actually rented at more than double the cost of owning it!!
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  DP - not wishing to sound unkind, but have you ever been to Rutherglen

Try Pollokshields, that's were mine is... Lovely spot, they knew how to build hoses in those days. And very nice for hot weather like we're having now. I have a similar house here in Edinburgh if you open the sashes top and bottom the whole place is cool....
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Buy a commercial property investment trust (tickers UKCM, FCPT, IPT, IRP, SLI, APT etc.) on the stock-market and get and 8% or higher net yield, after paying all expenses, including any internal debt interest.

Your properties are let for ten years at a time, the tenants repair them themselves, rents can't go down during the tenancy (unless the tenant actually goes bust.)

Comment

Working...
                    X