• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inspired by Legacy Systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by Legacy Systems

Come on then.....
    Lets all us old geezers regale the young Numpties about "The Good Old Days"...

My 1st IT Job ws using an IBM System - it came under the "Mainframe" banner (because Big Blue was trapping "Little Guys" who wanted to feel Big) but wasn't really even mid-range (it wasn't grunty enough to be a Network switch nowadays) .

It was a 4361 - Running VM/SP
    We had 3330 - Disk Drives
    A few Memorex Drives - not sure what model (it was a long time ago)
    3420 - (Reel-Reel) Tape Drives
    3267(??) - Impact/Line Printers
    3278 - Terminals
    2 x 3279 COLOUR terminals

Sorry Guys - I am a total Numpty myself... I have just realised that I have recreated the thread that inspired me!!!!
    Please feel free to hurl abuse and flame me mercilessly!
    Last edited by Drewster; 3 July 2009, 10:37.

Nope. You are only a proper IT relic if you had to spend 20 mins loading the operating system in on paper tape before you could start loading the compilers etc.

PS Punched cards, they were good too.

PPS Waits for Zeitghost...
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In my first ever contract I used Access 97. It had the paper clip helper although I preferred the stompy robot. Monitors were about the size and weight of the concrete balls that they lift onto barrels on World's Strongest Man.

Comment

The first computer that I ever wrote a program for was an ICL 1901 that had four tape drives, card reader and a line printer. Oh yeah, 16K words or real core store.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Nope. You are only a proper IT relic if you had to spend 20 mins loading the operating system in on paper tape before you could start loading the compilers etc.

PS Punched cards, they were good too.

PPS Waits for Zeitghost...

Had to enter the bootstrap via dip switches on the front panel!

Ferranti Argus

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            I used to recieve Data from Paris via TickerTape..... at about 30baud.... Make a phone call, rest handset in "Modem Cradle", press Activate....... wait patiently..... and then wait a bit...... Seriously it would have been quicker to have the bloke at the other end read the figures and me type it into Lotus 123.......

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            In my first ever contract I used Access 97. It had the paper clip helper although I preferred the stompy robot. Monitors were about the size and weight of the concrete balls that they lift onto barrels on World's Strongest Man.
            Errrrrrrrrrrrr Access 97....... <Tilt> <Fail>

Comment

My first ever IT job was in a call centre doing tech support for PC World. Never again
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                Come on then.....
                Lets all us old geezers regale the young Numpties about "The Good Old Days"...

My 1st IT Job ws using an IBM System - it came under the "Mainframe" banner (because Big Blue was trapping "Little Guys" who wanted to feel Big) but wasn't really even mid-range (it wasn't grunty enough to be a Network switch nowadays) .

It was a 4361 - Running VM/SP
                We had 3330 - Disk Drives
                A few Memorex Drives - not sure what model (it was a long time ago)
                3420 - (Reel-Reel) Tape Drives
                3267(??) - Impact/Line Printers
                3278 - Terminals
                2 x 3279 COLOUR terminals

Sorry Guys - I am a total Numpty myself... I have just realised that I have recreated the thread that inspired me!!!!
                Please feel free to hurl abuse and flame me mercilessly!
                Are you sure it wasnt running Vm/HPO ?

3279 terminals were pretty sought after .

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  Are you sure it wasnt running Vm/HPO ?

3279 terminals were pretty sought after .
                  We had a 4331 running DOS/VSE. Those colour terminals were so pricey we didn't dare ask for any - well maybe one for the MD.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    We had a 4331 running DOS/VSE. Those colour terminals were so pricey we didn't dare ask for any - well maybe one for the MD.

Yes - I would imagine you were running CICS as well ?

VSAM - theres a terrible memory for you - I think Darmstad is still using VSAM.

And dont get me started on VTAM ...

Back then most MDs worth their salt wouldnt be seen dead typing into a Terminal - thats secretaries work.

Even in the early 90s I remember one MD who would refuse to have a PC or email - his reasoning being that if anybody needed to contact him urgently - thats what his telephone was for.

I think he had a point.

Of course we know now that thanks to IT we are entering an unparalled era of productivity and economic expansion.

its funny how quickly you start to believe your own propaganda.
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 3 July 2009, 11:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X